My body was aching everywhere and cramps forced me awake. I checked the bedside clock: 3:08 A.M. The first thing that rushed into my mind was this was beginning to look like Hillary's "It's 3 A.M." ad. I got out of bed and went to the dimly-lit kitchen to look for some Tums. From the corner of my eye, I spotted an emerging white silhouette. The first thing out of my mouth was "hi, Con," and it transported me back to that cold hospital where he laid at the exact same hour two years ago. I'm glad we got to say goodbye and were together until he drifted away. Paddy's tail thumbing on the cabinet brought me back. "Sorry, Paddy. I knew it was you." He didn't seem to mind much and headed back to bed after realizing that he was not going to get Tums. It's been a long two years without him--my first child.
No comments:
Post a Comment