Monday, March 31, 2008

Give It Your Best Shot

Wil and I had been planning to go to a super Sunday brunch at Ramstein for the past forever. Our neighbors told us about it a while back and we would have made it there sooner had it not involved looking presentable to the general public before noon. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and Wil was in a dying need for some seafood. From our experience thus far, Germans are not big on eating anything that comes out of the water, which really hurts our old at-least-once-a-week sushi/seafood routine. But I'm too happy to report that we got our fill of the salty goodness that were giant crab legs after this weekend. Going from the two restaurants we have in town to a really big room filled with long tables that hosted everything from traditional hot breakfast to pastry/dessert, saute station, pasta bar, carving station, fresh fruit/cheese bar, seafood station, and some other stuff that I didn't even have time to look at was really overwhelming. Need I mention that one can request ANY kind of beverage, which is already included in the $20/glutton price tag, with his ridiculously large meal? A bottle of champagne with your eggs and grits? Beer to go with your crab legs? No problem! So what if it's only 11:00 a.m? You got up this early on your day off to stuff your face, and MWR is only too happy to oblige. I had never seen my husband grinning so needlessly wide before. It was as if his brain were overpowered by all that food, which rendered him utterly feeble yet deliriously happy. I promised Wil that we could go there every Sunday if he stuck with his healthy diet during the week. This might be the only way to get him to eat a pot of collard greens. Personally, I did not perform my very best due to a Feral Goat action on my stomach, so I definitely need to go back to set a personal record after gaining back my body cavity. We will get there at 10 a.m. and leave at 2 p.m., preferably on a stretcher. My mom will be here to take care of the kid and the pups. We're all covered.

As if that wasn't enough to make my month, we were greeted by warmth and sunshine as we rolled ourselves back to the car. It was snowing last Thursday and the high today was almost 70! It was a "Shock and Awe" campaign to my system between the food and the weather. We took the boys to the park as soon as we got home because, you know, sitting and watching Paddy run to retrieve his tennis ball for an hour and a half actually helped me burn off about 2,000 calories. Brutus didn't know what to do with himself. This is the pup that WANTS to be buried under a pile of snow. He started running around for a minute then quickly realized that sitting in the shade by the water bowl and keeping momma company were probably more wise. If the weather holds tomorrow, we'll take them to the duck pond for a long swim to burn off the rest of the food I consumed.

And after all of that, we were invited to a cook out for dinner. Our dear friends Mara and Steve will grill out if the temperature exceeds 40 and mostly dry, and who are we to turn down the hospitality? However, I thought we'd just go and hang out, considering the activity from the hours previous. MAYBE have a few chips and drinks. So imagine the amazement/slight disgust on my face when Wil told me that he was hungry again. And he wasn't kidding. He taped my belly this morning (44" and growing!!!) and I am now realizing that it was really just for his own rebuff. I have met my match.

Last but never least, a new edition of "Meet the Idiot." I would use a slightly stronger language to describe this individual (I did to Wil) if my mom didn't read this occasionally.

Idiot to Moi: You NEED to walk up and down this hill all day so you can pop already.

Repeat 5 times within the hour. I rest my case.

3 comments:

  1. My mouth watered simply reading your email. Don't worry, once you start breastfeeding, your appetite will come back twofold and make up for all the pregnancy nausea. That will be a great time to return to the brunch, maybe you can then put Wil to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked the mall (and up and down stairs) everyday for a week just so I could jump start my labor. My labor started, but I didn't progress for 5 days. But walking can possibly work, and so can sitting and bouncing on a yoga ball. My friend swears by it and its worked twice for her! Just a suggestion;) The Forehand Four send their love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told by a very wise Midwife that if walking worked to bring on labor there would be 20 treadmills in every hospital.

    SSR

    ReplyDelete