It just dawned on me this week that I would have to push this baby out soon. I understood the whole concept of pregnancy but I think subconsciously I've been blocking out the birthing bit. Wil and I took a series of child birth classes together at our hospital, and even then I could still not think too much about it afterwards. Denial, denial, denial. I'm not particularly afraid of the pain or complications, since we will be surrounded by the finest experienced military doctors and nurses. If I chicken out and don't want to feel any pain, they will be too happy to dope me up as soon as I am admitted. And the birthing suite is awesome. So really nothing to worry about, right? I think the reason I'm getting a little anxious about it is because the type A in me is finally realizing that I'm quickly losing control of this whole situation. The Kid can come whenever she feels like it. What if it's 2 a.m. and 3 weeks early? Will Wil be able to drive us to the hospital then? Where would the boys go? Would my mom be here in time? Does this mean that I'm going to have to clean the house and dust everyday, so it'd be ready for her white glove inspection? Would Brutus starve himself during the required 2-day-new-parent hospital stay because his babysitter (grandma?) wouldn't know to mix his food with his supplement and loudly bang the spoon against his bowl to signal the perfect meal? And what on earth would I do if mom is not here and Wil is still in the back brace, the baby is crying and hungry, and the dogs have to potty--all at once? The crazy list in my head goes on and on and on and the more I think about it the more random irrelevant things just keep popping up. I'm sure this has a lot to do with being at home 24-7 and spending most of the day staring at my laid out husband and forcing pills down his throat (just kidding. He's getting much better at taking his meds). I'm sure a good night rest will help with my mental state, but it appears that the sleep boat had sailed away along with my cute girlish figure. Someone please tell me there's an upside to all of this.
Hey Uma, it's Jeremy from Columbus, I won't lie to you with our girls neither of us slept for the first six months, but the one piece of advice I can offer is keep the baby on a schedule and sleep when she sleeps. When Katie had Becca and Maddy she had her Mom there for the first week to recouperate, it helped alot. Good luck with everything, I know you will be fine and I know Katie would tell you take the pain medication when they offer it.
ReplyDeleteLove, Jeremy
Hey! It's your sis! Things will be fine. Tough, but fine. It really is rough for a bit while you learn Chase(her schedule, diapering, how to sleep when she sleeps, and breastfeeding if your doing that). Jeremy is right, a schedule is the best thing to work on as soon as possible. Connor does excellent with naps and bedtime and Kegan is getting there. It surprised me how hard breastfeeding actually is at first, and that it's a learning experience for you and baby. But you will figure it out in spite of all the sleepless nights, sobbing feeding sessions, and sweet moments (asleep and awake!) you will have with Chase! Uma, we'll have to swap labor stories once Chase arrives. We love you guys!
ReplyDelete-Manda (the Forehand four)