Friday, August 1, 2008

I'm Falling Apart

The birth of my child has brought not only tremendous joy into my life but also an affirmation that I'm getting really old rather quickly. The latest ailment falls on my wrists. Apparently it's not uncommon for nursing mothers to experience sizable inflammation of the tendons around the thumb/wrist, so the docs keep telling me. After nearly dropping my kid a couple of times, I decided it was time to see the professional about it. So now I'm a proud owner of a pair of custom-made splints, which probably will stay very bright and shiny since they really don't allow me to move my hands at all. No, doc, I can't support my baby's ginormous head with just fingers. It just doesn't work that way. Anyway, I've got to do some physical therapy and may get some steroid injection if that doesn't work. Things I do for you, Chaster. It's not enough that I gave you flesh and blood. You've gotta take dairy and functional wrists, too?

In other news, I think we'll be filling out change of address form again very shortly. That's the bit that I didn't talk about yesterday since we don't have a confirmed order just yet. Basically, Wil will be taking a job that will allow him to have full 18 months to heal before the docs get to look at his back again and decide if he will be fit to return to normal duty. The move will more than likely be to one of three posts off of his wish list, which will keep us in Europe for at least several more years. I have mixed emotions about this move. I've grown to love this small village of ours and its beautiful countryside. Our baby was born here and I'm finally up for traveling and exploring this gorgeous region, although it appears that the move will come before we can really see all that we want. We've made life-long friends here that I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to. Carol, I just seriously teared up typing that last sentence. At the same time, getting to live in another European country is incredibly exciting. Before we landed in Baumholder, everyone told us that being here would be what we made of it. The move was either going to break us or bond us together for life. Personally, I can't think of a better way to start our lives together. So here it is, our big secret. We'll share the location as soon as I have an order in my hands--you Army wives know what I'm talking about. And we promise to always have a comfy spare bed waiting for friends and family wherever we go.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your wrists... but I know you would rather fall apart than Chase even get the tiniest cold. Great sacrificing mom!

    Exciting about your move. I am sure it is bittersweet, but just know I am living vicariously through you in your international adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, C's birthplace, Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri will always have a special place in my heart, even though it is in the middle of nowhere and really a crappy place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...so reading this post made me tear up too!! It really is crazy how we met in the first place, but I am so glad we did. I know that no matter where you guys or we (I guess that won't happent until 2010) move that we will always be friends. Friends like you are so rare to find and I am so blessed to be able to call you my friend. I thank God for people like you!

    We have already been through a lot together....Chasey coming into the world, life in this small town, deployment, etc etc. Thank-you for always thinking of me and for just being a really awesome friend...

    Okay, I must stop typing or I really will cry :( Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not only having a duty to take dairy and functional wrists, but also Chasie's pictures and post them too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting (the move part, not your pain). Trevor has always said he wished I could have moved around like he did as he grew up as the son of a colonel.
    Trevor has been going through wrist pains (probably the 10 hours of coding a day) for a year and they finally are giving him an mri to find out what is wrong.

    I've been meaning to tell you...this was going to be the first year I watched fencing on the Olympics because of your brother. But I found out a week ago NBC cut fencing. I heard they don't broadcast events America isn't expected to have a chance in. lame, huh?

    ReplyDelete