Saturday, December 20, 2008

What Do You Have Against Uprights?

There were certain differences I knew we would experience while living in Germany and I was wholeheartedly eager to embrace them. All but one.

To me, vacuuming with a canister vacuum cleaner really makes vacuuming a real JOB. House cleaning has never been that much fun to me but I do get such an instant gratification watching dog hair tumbleweed being sucked into the engineering marvel that is my Dyson Animal.


I can't use my Precious with a transformer because it can't convert the frequency to 50 Hz (from US 60Hz). And killing off the motor would be like purposefully hurting one of my own children. Since I found out that we would be living off-post, I have been on a hunt for an upright vacuum cleaner. I must tell you that I have yet to see one in real life despite daily visits to various home stores Wil, Chase, and I make lately. Should I even try to make sense of why the Germans love to make a chore a real chore or should I just file this under "It's Just the Way It Is" along with the lack of built-in closets (seriously, EVERYONE has clothes that need to be stored, right? Why not just put a closet permanently in each bedroom?)? The cheapskate in me won't allow another purchase of an upright Dyson that is available on the German Amazon, since we'd only be using it for a couple of years. Sigh. Seriously, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on an upright around here, I'll get you a delectable German treat.

5 comments:

  1. Worse case... get the new Dyson, and then sell it to another military couple when you move. I'm sure you'd be happier in the meantime, and would be able to 'get rid of it' quickly later on.

    (At hospital being induced since 6:30am. Feeling okay still so far but I do have contractions, mostly similar to some Braxton Hicks. We will keep you updated!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through another blog that I read and it really makes me miss Germany!!

    The reason why they do not have closets in Germany is because they're considered a room and they're taxed on the number of rooms a house has. It's sucky!

    I agree with getting the Dyson though. I do not think you'll find an upright in Germany. Our canister was great and you do get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uma--I've been using my Dyson Animal for a year and a half now with no trouble (plugged into a transformer, obviously.) It was already 2 1/2 years old when we got here--and will be about 6 years old when we leave. I plan on buying a new one (if need be) when we get back to the States.

    It's worth it to have a good vacuum cleaner here...at least to me. Once you go Dyson, you can never go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Dyson, you make me drool. I bought one with left over wedding money. I think Jill's got a good idea. Get the German version and know you've got a great upright. If you have dogs and long hair there's no going back to any other type of vacuum. My hair alone killed so many vacuums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed from your comment on my blog :-) I did the same as Eurolush - cannot live without transformers! Granted it can be a pain to move it from place to place in the house - beat buying new appliances!

    ReplyDelete