I was raised a Buddhist, and even though Wil is of Christian faith, I would say we both are more spiritual than religious. We have talked about how we would raise our daughter and agreed that exposing her to all the religions of the world and letting her make her own decision of what to believe would probably be the route we'd go. So far it's worked out just fine, as she hasn't learned to ask how Baby Jesus was created. I, however, feel a bit like I'm depriving both the kid and Wil of a traditional Christmas. Our apartment looks exactly like it always does during any other time of the year, and since I'm the It Decorator in this household, I shall take all the blame. It's not like I haven't heard about Christmas trees. I even hauled in a live one and made it look mighty spiffy for Wil's return from his last deployment. Last Christmas I was too big to care what time of the year it was as long as I wasn't around smelly Christmas candles/foods/heavily spiced drinks. This year we're moving and I just can't be bothered. I know that it might mean something to Chase someday for me to pass on to her Baby's First Christmas stocking, but I just feel like a fake to celebrate something that doesn't mean anything to me right now. Holidays mean family and friends to me, so maybe that's how I'll angle that one. Wil doesn't seem to care much one way or the other, but I think next year we'll make more of an effort for our little ones. Oh, they are still getting presents, but I think they are more "just because" kind of gifts.
Hope you are enjoying this time of the year wherever you are and however you choose to celebrate. Wil and I are going to have a small lunch and then paint our new house. Sounds like a perfect holiday time activity to me :).
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


The holidays are all about friends and family for us, too.
ReplyDeleteI love this time of year...only not the weather...fog? Again? Really? Ohgod.
Hope the painting went well!