Monday, July 14, 2008

Look at That Tiny Baby!

So it appears that Chase has inherited my grandma's tiny frame and my obnoxiously fast metabolism. She's growing and gaining well and mighty active, but it's clear that she's going to be a petite girl (thankfully with long legs!). I don't have a problem with this, but apparently one of my neighbors does. She gave birth to her daughter about three weeks after Chase came along and her baby is of a healthy Caucasian size, which means much bigger than my kid. The first time she called my baby tiny, it stunk a little. Since I'm Chase's only food source and therefore sort of responsible for her growth, I immediately felt insecure about my mothering ability. I know it's dumb since she's got thunder thighs to show for my effort and I really was just about ready to let go of this nagging feeling until I ran into her again. And once more she kept marveling at how much bigger her kid was than mine. And the same thing happened the following day, and the day after that, and...you see the pattern. I mean, why doesn't she just come out and ask why I starve my kid? Do I want her to stay cute and tiny like a bonsai? Do I feed Thumbelina with a medicine dropper? She could have picked any of those questions and I probably would not feel as bad as when she casts the look of pity my child's way. I told my mom about it and she told me that I was the exact same way with Chase and that I didn't really start to sprout until about the 4th grade. I know this is incredibly silly and I should just learn to ignore it, but damn if it isn't hard feeling like my parenting skill is being unfairly judged. The next time we should run into each other, I should just ask if she would like to breastfeed my little mutt, too.

7 comments:

  1. Uma, you're approaching this the wrong way. Next time you see the lady and her kid, be amazed at how plump her kid is compared to Chase. Now say it with me..."Oh my, what fat thighs your baby has"...or "Wow, what a chunker!!"...or "Gosh, is lard really the best form of baby food for you child right now." See, that wasn't so hard. Flip it around and make her feel guilty for sticking a bottle in her kids mouth every time he/she makes a sound. Role reversal is fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you were the skinny kid even in college despite your sometimes unhealthy appetite. As you said, it's metabolism and your genes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, remember people used to thing that you were way younger than me when we were really young. You just all of the sudden got irregularly tall in elementary school.

    And remember Chasie is half Asian! Have you ever seen any fat Asian kid beside from that one at the Sutthisarn Market!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chase is beautiful the way she is :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiny is just fine, nothing wrong with that.. beautiful is even better and Chase is both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries! My cousin's son was so tiny even the DR would guilt trip here by saying he was in the lowest % of his age. She always felt she wasn't feeding him enough. Then her daughter came along, and she's a chunker! They are both healthy, but with completely different body types! Keep doing what your doing, Chase is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs from me to you Uma...I KNOW how you feel! I'm so sick of people saying "oh he's so tiny!" Ugggg! It has nothing to do with your momma skills...but it's still hard! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete