Wil has been bugging me for days to pick out a crib for the Seed. With his upcoming surgery and the subsequent downtime, we're trying to set up the nursery before one of us has to worry about holding stitches together and the other being too big to move in any kind of coordinated fashion. The problem is none of the major retailers would ship a bulky piece of furniture over here. So it falls on the fine buyers at aafes to pick out the crib for our kid. Since aesthetic is never raked high on the military's priority, why should the family members concern themselves with this minor detail? Well, you see Mr./Ms Buyer, I'd hate to have to loudly curse out every time a sight of a crib comes into my view, especially if my child, with her virgin ears still intact, is laying peacefully in it. Seriously, we've hit every BX/PX/Furniture Store in the nearby posts/bases and I finally am convinced that aafes stores are where ugly furnitures come to die. Yesterday my poor husband feebly suggested that we should just buy a pack and play and call it a day already, after weeks of looking at the same ugly 5 cribs at different stores. We thought about buying stuff on the economy, but I also would like to have some money left over after the nursery is finished to put her through a state college. With the exchange rate the way it is, the only trip to IKEA this momma is making is strictly for fabrics. But after an exhausting search, we found a way to get our baby some decent looking furnitures. There's a crib that I actually LOVE and Wil can tolerate on aafes.com. We found a very helpful Furniture Store Manager two posts away who's willing to order it through his store for us and have it ship over. Apparently, it's not a practice they advertise because they would rather you take the ugly cribs off their hands. I was so happy I wanted to hug the man but didn't want him to get a weird vibe from me and change his mind. Wil painted the nursery and now we'll have very nice looking furnitures to fill the room. I'm actually beginning to get excited about decorating, which is a big deal for me since the only thing that really gets me going these days is the prospect of a fabulous feast that I don't have to make or clean up afterwards.
That's hilarious, Uma! I'm so glad that you finally found one you love. I can't wait to see it. You should post a picture of it....maybe with you next to it....hint, hint.
ReplyDeleteby the way, your comment on my last entry had me rolling. "Baby is still recovering from NYE!" too funny!
Congrats on the girl. YAY! Now all the real fun begins, I loved the decorating and imagining the little one in the room. Can't wait to meet her! Thought of names yet?
ReplyDelete