Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby Paddy!


My baby is turning 2 today! It makes me a little sad that we can't celebrate it with a trip to his favorite park. Paddy tore a small chunk off of his paw pad on Monday on a muddy trail and it took almost 3 days to get this little spot to stop bleeding. We're trying our best to keep him occupy but cabin fever is quickly settling in. I'm hoping Papa's blueberry muffin, a substitute for a birthday cake, would console him a bit.

Of all three puppies I've had, Paddy is, without a doubt, the biggest baby. He loves to cuddle with everyone but most of all he is Papa's little boy. If Wil is home, Paddy is sure to be either in his lap or weaving around his feet. He epitomizes everything people love about labs. Sometimes I feel like we should just buy a farm so he'd have all the space to roam and small animals to terrorize instead of chasing a neighborhood cat with Momma still attach to one side of the leash.

Every morning, Paddy would gently wake Brutus up with a laborious cleaning session. It starts innocently enough with a few licks around the face, then the ears, and eventually his big brother's poofy fur. Then he'd move onto Momma or Papa, whomever should be the closest. If the comprehensive cleaning fails to wake the parents or big brother up to play, he would grudgingly give a heavy sigh before deciding to join us back to the land of slumber. I wish I could snap a picture with all of us in bed together. I assure you it's quite a sight.

I still can't believe the baby in our family is 2 and about to become a big brother himself. I have no doubt that the boys will welcome Chase with a curious sniff and an exuberant joy. For some reason I don't have very many pictures of baby Paddy on my computer, so I'll have to post his chubby baby picture some other time.

Keeping vigil of sick Papa. North Carolina 2/2007

Resting after a long hike in Idar-Oberstein, 8/2007

1 comment:

  1. Steve and I plan to get a yellow lab for our next dog. How do we assure we get a dog as great as Paddy?!! SOO Cute.

    ReplyDelete