Sunday, January 20, 2008

When Pain is Good

So it's been about five days since Wil's last procedure and he's doing as well as can be expected. As I said earlier, the doctor went in and burned off some nerve endings, so he wouldn't feel as much pain. His bad disc was still pinching 3 different nerves, but the idea was that he would feel a lot more comfortable. That was a good theory. The first day after the procedure, he woke up with absolutely no pain at all, the first time in more than 3 years. It was an interesting day. Since there was no sensor to let him know how far he could push his back, he probably overdid it a tad. I tried to get him to sit still, but honestly how could I not let him experience a day without pain? Let's hope that's a preview of what's to come after the surgery. Needless to say, the effect didn't last long. The following day he went back to living with the usual discomfort, although it felt a little bit different since the procedure. We're still looking forward to Feb. 12 when we can hopefully put all of this behind us.

Wil and I went to see "Lions for Lambs" yesterday at our on-post movie theater. It was sobering watching such a film surrounded by our fighting men and women and their families. One lady who sat by us couldn't stop whaling. Regardless of what one thinks of the war, the movie was well made and precisely to the point in my opinion. I'll say it's a great example of how a movie can obviously speak against what's going on in the region but continue to wholeheartedly support the troops. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know we're months behind the states on movie rotation, but you should check it out on DVD if you missed it in the theater.

I'm beginning to get my energy back now entering my 26th week. Better late than never I guess. A few of our friends have had their babies this past week, which only heightens my excitement/anxiety about our own kid's arrival. The nursery furnitures that we ordered are still not here yet, and probably won't be for a while, so there's not much decorating going on either. Sigh. I'm just itching to sew something for the room. Maybe I should start with the curtains. Anyway, life has been rather quiet this week. The weather is cold, wet, and extremely windy, so the pups don't get much time outside either. We're all are going to be chubby by Spring.

P.S. Wil's watching "Nine Months" with certain amount of amusement and fear. I really hope my doctor is as funny as Robbin Williams.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about Wil's back. Man, he just can't catch a break, can he!?

    I didn't know you like to sew. Curtains are a great idea. If you're going to breastfeed, you could also sew up a Hooter Hider. There are these little diaper holder things too....that are way more expensive in the store than making them yourself. They basically hold a few diapers, wipes and a changing pad. Super cute.

    Hmm...what else? I've been making taggies lately, those are fun.

    Any ideas to help you out with your sewing itch?

    ReplyDelete