Friday, June 8, 2007

And the Prodigal Daughter Returns!

I know I know... But this time, I'm really going be good with keeping up this thing. The pups and I are scheduled to fly during the last week of June sometimes, and this past Thursday was my last day at work. I'm supposed to use the next couple of weeks to clean out the attic, clean up the house, and fix up whatever the puppies use as their chew toys. Unemployment, however intentional, is just completely frightening to me. I just feel like I'm not contributing to our family somehow. So being at home all day leaves me absolutely no excuse for not cleaning on a daily basis. Sigh. And I think the pups are rather disappointed that they are not having any more fun with me being at home. Already, the pressure!
In other news, Wil has decided to have his back surgery at Lundstuhl, a military medical facility in Germany. After meeting with his new neurosurgeon and discussing his options, he feels that there's a good possibility that the surgery can and will give him a somewhat pain-free life. With degenerative disc disease that he's been diagnosed, we now know that sooner or later surgery will be necessary. So why not now if we have a good shot? It's really scary but it's also a blessing in disguise, at least to me. Wil's unit is on a rotation for November deployment. He's not going to be able to go with them. The surgeon is pushing for the surgery within the next 6-8 weeks, to be followed by 6 weeks of rehab/recuperating time, another 6 months, if all goes well, before PT, then revaluation of his back. Wil is rather upset about not being able to deploy with his unit. In all honesty, I don't think any soldiers want to go to war. They go because it's their duty and what they bravely sign up for. And certainly, they never want to send their brothers off while they lay in relative comfort of hospital beds. I always hear stories about injured soldiers whose sole missions are to get better as soon as possible, so they can go back to their units. Wil also had an option of not deploying the last time, but he went anyway bad back and all, to be with his soldiers. And he came back hurting even more. This time, I think he finally comes around to the idea that he still has his whole life ahead of him and it will be a lot less enjoyable if he can't even bend over to pick up our children. I keep telling him that after Kosavo, Afghanistan, Iraq first and second trip, NO ONE will ever say he hasn't done enough for his country. He just feels like he's letting his unit down. I completely agree with the saying "the only thing that is harder than being a soldier is to love (and sometimes take care of!) one"
Alright, that is quite enough for my promising return :). Come back and check as I agonize over what to throw away and what to keep...

No comments:

Post a Comment