Friday, March 27, 2009

Noise, Again

You can bank that if you get an update from me before 6 A.M., things ain't good. Well, here's why. I've got a light sleeper. I don't know if it was because she was born this way or because she spent the first 9 months of her life living under Apollo the Wondrous Tap Dancing Dog, who liked to play fetch with dinosaur bones above her crib, back in our apartment in Baumholder. Whatever the cause doesn't matter much anymore as the damage is done. We still have the noise making in her room and recently just had to turn it up from "****ing Loud" to "Why Don't You Just Go Ahead and Use a Chopstick to Poke Out My Ear Drum." Here's the problem. In our house, there are two bedrooms upstairs and two more downstairs. I guess I can call our downstairs a finished basement. It's very nice although rather cold, and we use the one room that has an attached bathroom for a guest room and the other is Wil's Man Cave/my sewing room. As for upstairs, the two bedrooms are right next to each other at one end of the house and is separated by a narrow hallway. The master is on the backyard side and the baby's room is on the street side. I know a picture would make it much easier to understand but, like I said, it's before 6 A.M. and things ain't good. The furniture pretty much dictates which room would be ours as the nursery is just a smidgen bigger than a sizable closet and could only fit the little person and her little belongings comfortably. The problem is the fact that my kid's bed is literally two yards away from the street. And here's the thing about Germany: they can park cars ON the sidewalk. The streets are narrow and, to not force traffic into a bottle neck, it's perfectly acceptable for one to park a car with two wheels on the sidewalk while the other two remain on the road (if space is really an issue, I've seen the whole car on the sidewalk as well). Ever since we moved here, Chase's been waking up at the oddest hours. I chalked it up to her getting sick, moving, teething,...etc., but even when all those things had passed, she was still walking up. The manner in which she wakes gets a little angrier everyday. It was not until recently that the cause of this became clear to me. One of our neighbors is the German equivalent of an EMT. The first time I saw her pulled up in her uniform I was seriously freaking out because I thought something had happened to my neighbor (I'm pretty sure she and her little girl lives with her parents there). Well, the thing is she parks right in front of Chase's bedroom window, I guess, because it's closer to park there and walk to her front door than to park in front of her own house. Her car is not particularly loud, although to a sleeping baby that is literally two yards away, the whole sequent of one getting into a vehicle, starting it up, and gunning it to get out of the first gear are probably as soothing as a hacksaw on my teeth. I know it's a public street, which is why I haven't said anything until now, but do I have a right to be a bit upset? We tried moving Chase's furniture around two nights ago to put the most amount of space between her and the car, but she freaked out so badly and would scream every time she was in the room, Wil had to switch everything back to where it was. I'm thinking about typing up another note using googletranslate to try to explain to her what this is doing to my kid and hope she understands, as she is a mother of a small child herself. If anyone has any kind of suggestions, I'm all ears. I've been up since 3, already yelled at Wil, and am just so frustrated. I really thought we were in the clear when we got out of that apartment. Will it never end?!?