Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vocabulary

Chase definitely knows at least two words that I know of. She knows to stretch out her legs and bare her weight when I say "stand up." I thought it was pretty cool when I first noticed that she actually comprehended what I was saying, and it came in pretty handy when I was carrying one grocery bag too many in one arm and the baby in the other. The other one is "Paddy." I can ask her "where's Paddy?" and she will start scanning the room for him and smile broadly and laugh when she finds him. She knows "Bubu" for Brutus, too, but does not always seem to take the same urgency to look for him consistently. "Momma" and "Papa" also get pretty decent response. I've been paying more attention to her babbling, and my own potty mouth, since realizing that she's beginning to pick up our language. I'm making a real effort to speak to her in Thai, but it's been a crapshoot since I speak to the pups and Wil in English but don't always remember to switch back to Thai when talking to her. The other day I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up by this "BAAAAAAAAAAA" sound. I opened my eyes to see Wil sitting on the other end of the couch and holding Chase, who had both her arms outstretched in my direction while loudly voiced "BAAAAAAAAAAAAA." I'm hopeful that it's the beginning of "Momma" as she's been using it consistently to get my attention. Wil is also convinced that she can say "hi" and "ok." No, we don't have high expectation of our 5-month-old at all :).

This reminded me of a story my friend, who became a kindergarten teacher, told me. She and her colleagues always had a bet going on how many "my child is gifted, so please feel free to give her more work" they would get on kindergarten sign up day. It was always a lot and apparently it took all she could to keep a straight face before replying "of course." I told Wil this story and he said "but our baby REALLY IS gifted." Speak like a true doting father.

Last but not least, her teething is tapering off, I think. Saliva is not pouring out of her anymore, although she's still drooling pretty excessively. She's learned to grab our fingertip and use it like a toothbrush on her gum, especially the top one. She hasn't mastered moving our giant fingers, so most of the time she would just move her head from side to side instead. Pretty freaking adorable if you ask me. And one more picture that I LOVE:

Let's hope for more of that!

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that picture is adorable. She looks so peaceful and comfy.

    You better be putting all those words into a baby book. If only because people who have babies after you will ask "how old was Chase when she knew what 'Paddy' meant?" And you'll either pull out the book or go..."I don't know, two months, probably."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not joking, she looks exactly like mom when mom was little. I have a picture to prove it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that baby book advice. I wasn't very good at doing that for Caroline and I already am forgetting things! Hopefully the teething horror is over for a good, long time and you all get rested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, cute cute pictures. I mean, she's a genius AND adorable. You better watch out Wil, the boys will come knocking!!

    Wil - YOU ROCK. Thanks for the comment on Columbus on my blog. All that information is VERY MUCH appreciated since both Steve and I have never been to Columbus and don't know one suburb from another. We have actually checked out Westerville online since it seemed like a cute place and not too far from the DSC. A friend of mine said Powell is a great place too. How is New Albany? You really encouraged both of us about our next move, yay! Uma, I don't have your email on hand, can you email me at rmthorpe81@hotmail.com? I am sure I will have plenty of questions for Wil throughout these next couple of months if he doesn't mind :)

    THANKS AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete