Wednesday, October 22, 2008

She's Doing Better

Yes, Kun Yai, you can stop pacing now and might want to take a nap. She's still pretty congested but there's no projectile vomiting to report tonight (hooray!). The poor child has developed a great dislike for the bulb syringe now and started to wince every time I come at her with it. Chaster missed her friend Christian's first birthday party today and we're a little bummed about that. Better be safe than sorry, and there will be plenty more time for future play dates since we have no idea when Wil will get his order. We were told "5-10 days" about two months ago. Gotta love the Army.

In other news, Chase finally sat up by herself today. I noticed that she was balancing herself pretty well on my lap while I checked my email this morning, so I sat her down with her new toy on the play mat and she just carried on like a pro. Sometimes she was so engrossed in the toy and perhaps forgot that she was actually sitting up and would tip over like a drunken sailor. I had been impatiently waiting for this but am now a little sad that she's really moving too quickly away from her brand new baby days. It got a little more bittersweet when I had to search her big tub of clothes for some 6-9 months stuffs. I'm still holding on to a few of her favorite 0-3 months onesies that I can't bare to put away just yet. It feels like I cry at least once a week now thinking about her going off to college. Wil just sort of shakes his head when he sees me doing this. I am going to be one of those uncool, clingy mothers, who completely lose it at the first day of kindergarten. I know I have gone Care Bear soft.

Isn't it ironic that now that my kid can sleep for a really long stretch, I suddenly find that I can't? It seems that my poor body has gotten accustomed to the sleep deprivation since the beginning of the pregnancy and I just can't get a good night sleep even if the baby does. Normally, she would wake up to nurse once before going back down for the second half of the usual 10-12 hours of sleep but I would be wide awake after that. This is how you keep getting updates from me at 2:00 A.M. I constantly find myself laying wide awake in the dark listening to the baby monitor and all the little sleep noises she makes. I read that a new mother's brain is so wired and sensitive to her baby's cry and sound, which is very helpful and reassuring, but how do I train my brain to not response to her thumb sucking noises? I swear I can hear it even without the monitor and with a thick concrete wall between us. I am far too paranoid to turn off the monitor, so that's not an option. With that said, I really should try to lay down again. And maybe I'll have a better luck catching the child showing off her new sitting skill on the camera tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. It simply amazing to me that you could hold her on your lap while you were checking your email. I can hardly remember those days. Wow, they do grow up so fast but while it may be sad in a way, it is also so fun to see all the changes. We just have to enjoy every stage in it's entirety. I am now having the struggle of keeping a constant eye on him while he is running around the house opening every drawer he can reach! The fun that lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete