I find it fascinating that I could weigh just about the same as before the pregnancy but look utterly different. I know vanity really has no place in the wonderfully grand scheme of things that my precious baby brings, but it would be a big lie to say I didn't cry the first time I looked at myself in the mirror (or the second...and third) after coming home from the hospital. My body hadn't changed much at all in the previous 20 years and I had grown to love it. Seeing what a wreck it turned into was very disorienting. Now five months and thirty pounds later, there are still days that I mourn my old self a little. But then I would touch my stomach and remember that my baby was there and feel thankful that I could nurse her with these new boobs. A few weeks ago I packed away old clothes that I knew I would never fit in again but not quite ready to part with. It was kind of therapeutic. It just made me realize that cloth sizes were pretty much like age: they only affected me if I allowed them to. I've been in size zero and I've been a twelve, and I can tell you that I worry just the same that a certain pair of pants would make my rear end look enormous. Good to know that at least there's THAT consistency in my life. That and a sweet and kind husband, who tells me everyday that I look beautiful even while wearing his t-shirt that is covered in breast milk and spit up. I know I'm lucky. Just need to get used to the old me in this new body. Work in progress...
last three words sum it up for all the mommies....
ReplyDeleteYeah, I definitely cried the first time I put on a nursing bra. It was gigantic and looked like something my grandma would wear. Having a great husband really does help, I am definitely thankful for that!
ReplyDeleteGreat post... my boobs (like my belly button) never seemed the same either, but it is sooo worth it.
ReplyDeleteI just think its so strange to have this body transform before your eyes. I still have those clothes that I wasn't ready to part with after my first. Just. In. Case.
When I get frustrated, I think of all the amazing things my "mom body" can do. I have run half marathons, triathlons, I can carry a 3 year old, and a 8 bags of groceries at the same time... my pre-mom self looked good and was in shape, but she didn't do any of those things!
Regardless if we lose the weight or not, the body is definitely changed and will never be the same as it was pre-baby. BUT so have our lives, so I guess it makes sense, huh? I think for me the hardest part was losing the breastfeeding boobs. Where did they go?!!!
ReplyDelete