Monday, October 20, 2008

LOUDER! I Can Barely Hear You SCREAM!!!

We've been letting Chaster baby cry herself to sleep when she wakes up at night. Up until last weekend, we would get up with her whenever she was up and pat her on the back until she fell back to sleep. She went from waking up once or twice a night at four months old to an average of 5-6 (and 8-9 on really bad nights) at five months and a half. I will say that's a very big step in the wrong direction. After re-reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" for the fourth time, mainly to ensure myself that I would not be ruining my kid's life by leaving her in her crib to cry, I sat on the couch in the living room listening to her scream for the next hour and a half until it was time for her to get up for the day. I think half of my hair went gray that day. Not to bore you with the rest of the story, but we are now on day 10 of the Cry It Out routine and on most days we see a significant improvement in her. That doesn't mean she's not being her stubborn self some nights, but things are definitely looking up. Looking back, why did I ever think that she would go to sleep when she could have our company whenever she wanted? Sorry, Baby Whisperer, but this is where we must part. Thanks for teaching us to stick to a structured routine. You really have been a life saver.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my heart really does go out to you! I can honestly say that I have been there, it is horrible, I never want to go back, but it is worth it! I read Baby whisperer and loved parts of it but I definitely differed on some things. I am so glad that we FINALLY trained Jack to sleep on his own. So worth it. You can do it!!! I'll be praying for Chase to sleep more, cry less and for you to not lose your sanity or your hair color!

    ReplyDelete