Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful

I know I have seriously been lacking with the updates these past few weeks. Our old routine just seems a bit boring in comparison to our mini vacation in Baden-Baden, so much so that I had a post vacation blues after returning to the cold and dreary Baumholder from Baden-Baden, where I wore a cotton sundress with a lightweight sweater and sandals. I had never lived anywhere where snow was expected and not just a random novelty wintry occasion until this move to Germany. Couple that with my fear of having a sick baby on my hand and I inevitably have turned us into two hermits in the apartment. Right now with the snow on the ground and the temperature barely going up past the freezing point during the warmest time of the day, I honestly don't see how that's going to change. And since I just ranted about the upstairs neighbor, you know these four walls (plus one large ceiling) are closing in fast on me. Yesterday Wil detected a slight panic in my voice and decided that I needed a change of scenery. He dropped us off at the library on the way to the park with the boys. I wore Chaster in our Ergo and she felt asleep quickly (just in time, too, since her new round of teething was bothering her so much that she barely napped all day. And you know that I needed her to nap as much as she needed one herself) leaving me to browse quietly and happily. I love libraries and I love to read. I credited this to my mom, who shared her love of books and reading with me early. I never cared much for toys as a child and would read anywhere I could. Mom made sure we had endless supply of books and magazines around the house. When I was little and found myself in between the next summer camp and time at grandma's house and was old enough to be left alone, mom would drop me off at the main library in Bangkok, which also happened to be just a few minutes away from her work. I would spend half a day in the magazine room, where a collection of magazines from around the world were housed. I couldn't read English well yet at the time (this was around 4th-6th grade?), but mom showed me a copy of National Geographic and I was hooked. I "read" Time, Vogue, lots of newspaper in different languages, all kinds of magazines, and was never ready when she came to fetch me for lunch. I couldn't wait to go back for the afternoon, when I went upstairs to read whatever that happened to be in the room I wandered into. It was a fantastic way to spend that part of the summer. I hope Chase love everything about the library as much as I do. She has already checked out quite a few books, with her mother's encouragement. We try to make it to the library every week but lately it's been more like two. Chase gets a few new reading materials and mom gets to fill her lungs with that old book smell. Hmmm....how I love papercuts.

Now I have to update you on the health of my family starting with our boys. This is around the time of the year when Brutus finally comes out of his dormant stage. My furry boy doesn't get very active when the temperature is above 45 degrees, which means that he was quite miserable the whole year in North Carolina. I've been getting reports from Wil that he has performed some seriously complicated and acrobatic moves at the park trying to catch snowballs and been running circles around Paddy in the snow. Just to be clear, this is the boy with a SEVERE case of hip dysplasia. Paddy is still the biggest baby ever and now even more in love with his little sis since baby-led weaning method leads to table scraps. I'm also getting a bit more worried about his much-abused joints as he approaches his third birthday and getting a few more pops and crackles when he gets up and down. Both the boys have been on a very good joint supplement since they were babies, and I'm hopeful that they will still have this spunk for play and park when they celebrate their 10th birthday. A mother can hope.

As for my Beloved, he and I have reached an agreement that, in order for us to be able to enjoy the scrumptious holiday baking and feasts, we would have cereal/oatmeal for breakfast and dinner and make lunch the biggest, and perhaps the most indulgent, meal of the day. I sometimes feel like an enabler making him treats that he requests (in a 5-year-old style, with big sad doe eyes and quivering bottom lip), but it seems cruel to deprive him of his favorites over the holidays. Poor Wil has been playing second fiddle to the baby these whirlwind 7 months without as much as a complaint, and it's time I'm making a serious effort in giving him back the wife/best bud he marries and not just be the mother to his precious baby girl.

Last but never least, your favorite little Steinhauer, who never fails to amaze me on a daily basis with her tenacity and love. For a while, Wil and I were happy with the idea of living our lives together as a twosome (plus B&P), but now looking back, I don't know how I ever found life without Chase whole. She's growing and thriving everyday, and it's so thrilling yet scary to see this part of our lives flying by in the fast forward motion. She loves to eat and play tag with Paddy on Momma's shoulders, has learned to slowly and gently pet Brutus, knows signs for milk and Papa and how to give a kiss. She's made her mom a better person. Quite a list of accomplishments for a 7-month-old baby.

Now on to some overdue pictures:

Her first serious allergic reaction. The culprit: baby yogurt. Her whole face swelled up. I still can't talk about it. She's fine now though.
Paddy displaying a proper way to occupy the bed.
"Please, momma, I'm trying to read."
"Maybe the stain will teach you to put a bib on me."
She's going through her bibs quickly thanks to the combination of teething and solid foods. So I tried making a few bibs today. Promise to show you the results when they are done.
I learned that my wool sock caused my foot to slip a little on the pedal. One never wants the working foot to slip while sewing.
I had to document the moment after she really spitted up on the top of my head (we were playing airplane--after oatmeal. Dumb, I know). She's almost as big as me already!
She really does like to feed herself despite the tired face she has on here.
Self feeding in action. Hmmm...pear.
I just started letting her sit up during her bath. Don't you just want to kiss those fat rolls?

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving from all of us here!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Reading this was just what I needed to distract myself from Annabelle's crying (bedtime). FYI - traveling with babies is not so fun.

    Anyways - I'm impressed with the sign language! I wish I could get myself to teach Annabelle. I'm a slacker.

    Cute pictures, especially the tired spoon in mouth one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Great blog. I read and enjoyed it. The baby pictures are so cute. Interesting post. You've given us all a lot to think about.Thanks for sharing.
    -------------
    oliviaharis
    link building

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chase is such a cutie. With you , jules, and jill and babies it makes me wonder if maybe I do want to have children (I've always said I didn't) I wish you all lived closer so I could babysit. The other day I was playing with Vega pup for a good 30 minutes, testing her mind and I started realizing I play with her the same way I'd play with a child. hmmm...I don't know.
    What joint medicine do you have the boys on? We have Vega and Lucy on Nutro Benefits of NATURAL CHOICE® Large Breed
    Weight Management. It's got a lot of Glucosamine & Chondroitin in it, but I always thing we should be giving them more since Lucy is a Giant breed and Vega is down to 3 legs. She still pops when she gets up and down, but it doesn't phase her at all.
    I suppose this is long enough, so I'll stop. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog! Your little one is so precious too!

    ReplyDelete