Thursday, November 20, 2008

ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the light update this week. I've got the same excuse: we have a 6-month old baby. This week, in addition to her usual 3-4 A.M. feeding, Chase decided that she also wanted to eat around 9:30-10 P.M. as well. The Baby Whisperer would say that it's because she's getting too much solids and not enough milk. I really don't know what else to do since she fights with me tooth and nail while nursing during the day and suddenly develops a great dislike for formula and wouldn't take the bottle either. I'm still experimenting with the time of her dinner (solids), so it would not interfere with her last nursing session before bed. Who knew adding real solids to her routine would consume ALL of my free time. It really feels like my life just revolves around cooking (for us, the baby, and now Brutus because he's got an upset stomach AGAIN!) and cleaning (after the boys, the baby, especially after each solid meal, and Wil's combat boots...). Ok, I'm done whining now.

In other news, I've been a touch obsessive about sewing and making something after FINALLY completing my first pair of drapes for our bedroom and hemming another pair that had been picking up dog hair on our living room floor. It only took a year and a half and I don't know why Wil complained so much about it. In hindsight, trying to juggle 3-yard long fabric panels in between baby wrangling probably wasn't ideal or going to add years to my life, and my husband probably would have been just as happy had I gone to Ikea to pick up a pair. Wil got me a sewing machine as a Christmas present years ago after hearing me wishing out loud for one--repeatedly. My delicate nature and subtlety are two of my prized qualities. Anyhoo, I didn't know how to sew, didn't know what a bobbin was or why I needed it, didn't even know how to thread the thing. So, after letting the shiny new machine sit in our spare room collecting dust for a year, I signed up to take a beginner's sewing class at a local community college after work. The problems were that I was working 70 hours+ a week and that I was the only true beginner in the class. When I could make it to class, other students, who needed the teacher's help with their duvet covers and totes, pretty much took all her time and attention and I didn't learn much after walking away with a pair of pillow cases. Thank God for all the tutorial and DIY videos on the internet. I hadn't spent much time decorating our apartment since moving here because I kind of felt guilty about spending the money that I wasn't bringing in. Wil found this puzzling, but I'm sure those of you, who used to work and are now choosing to stay home with your babies, understand. But now that I got those monstrous yardage under my belt and my creative mental blockage cleared, I feel like I can make anything again. I'm walking with an IND spring in my steps ;).

Also, if you live in our neck of the woods and happen to see my husband enjoying any kind of junk food, you have my permission to body check him. Wil just found out that he had high cholesterol and had to set up an appointment with a nutritionist. Ironic considering he's married to a food scientist, to whom he does not listen. He insists that he's not a picky eater, as long as the meals that I prepare for him does not include dark leafy green vegetables, any kind of mushrooms, chick peas, tofu or soy-anything, polenta, whole wheat pasta and couscous,...etc. You see where I'm going with this? Anyway, to be fair, he does eat what I make most of the time. The problem is that he hits up the vending machine and Burger King while at work and gets rid of the evidence before coming home. So I'm putting this out there in the spirit of "Don't Feed Phil" Day. It's going to take an internet village to keep his body from turning completely solid before getting to meet his grandchildren.

I'm off to steaming some pears for the Spawn's breakfast. If she lets me have any down time today, I'll post some more cute videos. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Me too. I am in awe that you are trying to tackle it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete