Monday, November 12, 2007

Scary

We have a prowler(s). And 3 reported sexual assaults, maybe four, and break-ins. All these in less than a week and mostly a block from my street. Apparently, some people are taking full advantage of the post being empty of strong beefy men. All the MPs can tell us is that it's a white guy with a military hair cut. Very helpful considering we are living on an army post. Seeing the kind of security one needs to get through to come through the gate sure did give me a false sense of security, which Wil warned me against, and I was utterly guilty of not consistently locking my door and car. Wil's leaving for the field was a blessing in disguise because it finally made me realize that I should at least try to make it difficult for those with less than good intention toward us since I was now "It" in the home defense department. Even my boys seemed to snap into guard dog mode when he left. My children are fabulous. And they have really pointy canines. All the sexual assaults happened over the weekend and it made us band a little closer together. Carol has been coming up to the video store to hang out with me if I have to work the night shift alone. Bless the woman. It gets very spooky being there by myself. The video store rents a small space in the convention center and is the only thing opens on the weekend there. Wil has been telling me that he doesn't really want me to work there when he's not around, and I'm seriously considering that option. I am a whole lot less of a maverick now that there's another life inside of me that I need to protect.

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow, girl! That is scary, but it seems like you have your guard up and are being as careful as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super glad you have your "kids" to take care of you. You be careful, you have a little one to watch out for now too! Isn't it strange the already "protective mother" feelings you are experiencing? Such a beautiful thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something similiar happen around my work (I work in a 5 acre facility). So I know what you're feeling. I hate that you're home alone. I hope Wil comes home soon. You're in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete