Carol and I went to Trier, German's oldest city, today (well, technically yesterday now). The weather was not all that bad when we decided to leave Baumholder and we were just hoping that it stayed that way 40 minutes away. It didn't. But that certainly didn't make Trier any less special for me. It was rather bitter sweet to finally make it there (I've written about us wanting to go during the summer but something either came up or I got all-day sickness), but without My Love. I couldn't have picked a better traveling partner though. Carol is such a good sport. She's been in the country for less than a month and already has been driving around sight seeing on her own, armed with a fabulous Garmin Nuvi. The highlight of the trip was hands down The Dom, which could be dated back to the 4th century and since has seen many renovations. I couldn't describe the feeling when we first entered the cathedral adequately to do it justice. The structure is magnificent and enormous. To see the stones, sculptures, and intricate carvings (even on the ceiling!) that have been there for centuries looking as majestic as the day they were built was just mind boggling. I got a little teary eye while sitting in there, trying to absorb the feeling that was so overwhelming larger than myself. That is the kind of place that makes people believe in God, or whatever name you shall call The Mighty. I desperately wanted Wil to be there with me, and I knew a apart of him was when I touched the tummy. We were allowed to walk up to the alter, where the Robe of Christ was encased and kept behind an iron gate, for a silent prayer, and mine was that He/She looked after My Love, our baby, and our beloved family and friends. I promise myself to come back with Wil and take a lot more pictures. I didn't take very many good pictures but here's what I've got:
A pregnant-looking me at Porta Nigra
Inside the gate
This is actually just right next to Porta Nigra. I couldn't resist the architecture. The picture would have looked so much cooler with blue sky...
Selling flowers in the rain and cold.
A church of which I don't remember the name

Outside of the Cathedral 

I know the exposure sucks but it was pretty dark in there. At the end is the alter where the Robe of Christ is kept.
I took more pictures but many of inside the church were really too dark even with flash and exposure adjustment on iPhoto. I'll see what I can do with the next trip. It was a fantastic way to spend 4 hours of a rainy afternoon. We had a great lunch and I got the Body Shop's amazing shea body butter as a souvenir for the tummy. It seems so trivial to go from The Dom to obsessing about stretch marks, but I'm only a mere mortal. I could definitely feel the effect of lugging around the extra, even though tiny, person after spending most of the day on my feet. I was talking to Wil on the phone telling him about my day when he asked how his son was doing. I thought he meant "sons" and told him that the pups were taking their naps after dinner. He went on to ensure me that he meant "Son." Typical. I don't think the pups could have anticipated the rate at which they would be losing ranks. Anyway, I told him that I felt something different today. The only way to describe it is that it was as if I was playing a string instrument and suddenly a string broke. That popping sensation and vibration were completely new to me. When it was happening, I thought to myself "there goes another ligament," but Wil quickly reminded me that it could also be the baby's movement. Our mid wife did say that we could start feeling it around 16 weeks. I'm half way through my 15 weeks (already?!?) and I was kind of boney to start with, so the Husband might not be completely off target. I have been feeling all kinds of pressure and flutters in the stomach, most of which I contributed to gas, but now I will definitely be paying closer attention.
The sun is coming up and my skin is starting to burn. I'm going to try to get a few hours of sleep in before taking the babies out for our morning tug of war, also known as a walk to most of you with well-behaved mutts. In their defense, they are doing much better since the Black Cat incident, thanks to help from the Dog Whisperer. More on that later.


Love the photos....hope your pregnancy is going well.
ReplyDeleteTrier was actually the very first "sightseeing trip" I took when I lived in Germany.
Your photos bring back a log of wonderful memories.
:)