I've heard from other moms before about how a sickness can transform even the most energetic and rambunctious child to a small quiet baby, who just wants to be cuddle. Not that our Chase doesn't enjoy being carried around in our arms, but she is definitely one determine little baby and always wants to stretch her independence when awake. But last night in the hospital was different. She was so incredibly exhausted from all the throwing up she'd been doing, and, perhaps in an attempt to shield her eyes from the hospital bright lights, nuzzled in. I always love those fleeting moments after she finishes her night nursing and just lays her little head on my chest and lets me fill my lungs with her sweet baby smell. I'm guilty of lingering a little too long before putting her back down in her crib since she starts to sleep through the night occasionally. Last night in the hospital, she fell asleep in my arms and we sat up together for hours in a naked hospital bed, whose sheet was soiled from her upchucking. Then today she fell asleep with me on the couch for the first time in months. With her soft little body laying on my chest, I couldn't help but getting a little sad that those first three months that she would only sleep if she was on either my chest or Wil's couldn't last for all eternity. I wouldn't have gotten anything done or taken a shower again ever but it would still be worth it. Is it weird to miss your baby even though she's sleeping in her room that is only 10 feet away?
I guess that means it;s time to try for another, so you can get those little baby moments back again... ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear Chase has been so sick. I'd go nuts if my baby girl went through that, which reminds me that I should probably take your experience to heart since Abby will have her sick days at some point in the future. And I can totally relate with the having your kid go to sleep on your chest. I just love Abby falling to sleep in my arms, and yes I do take those big inhales of baby smell, too. Ain't it cool to be a parent. :-)
ReplyDeleteYES! I know exactly what you mean! When Caroline was little and finally started sleeping in her own room (all the way across the house - oh my!) I looked at Gabe one night and said "I miss her!"
ReplyDeleteHe thought I was crazy.
uh oh.....does Uma have baby fever?
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet! And I think it is perfectly normal to miss the baby moments.
ReplyDelete