Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oi!

I can't believe it's been a week since our last update. These past few days just seemed to be swirling in a haze of moving boxes and wrapping paper. Since I had either been living out of suitcases or moving boxes one way or another for the past few months, I was adamant to unpack as quickly possible so we could get back to our "normal" living situation. But we were living with two sets of furnitures until yesterday (when the other moving crew came to pick up the loaner furniture) because of the unexpectedly early drop off of our stuff. When I say there's absolutely no free room, I really mean you would have seen boxes stacked up on an upholstered chair that sat on a sofa if you were to drop by on a visit. Our flattened moving boxes and wrapping paper filled a full size recyclable dumpster and then some. We took some pics of how ridiculous things look and will post them later when I can locate the camera. My Beloved is an excellent partner in crime and decoration, btw. We unpack and move furnitures around at the speed of a 100-meter mad dash literally every single waking moment. The house is half way decent looking now. I'm hoping we can throw a small dinner party this weekend, but it still remains, sadly, only as hope at the moment.

In other news, I was slightly disappointed that unpacking kept us away from Roman Fest in Trier last weekend but am delighted to report that there will be another festival in our very own Baumholder this weekend. I'm super excited at the aspect of awesome spiesbraten on a bun just a stone throw away from the apartment. Henry, if you are reading this, I'm going to be doing a lot of eating while walking. Is it already giving you an indigestion?

I also got a job, if you can call it that. We don't really know what's going on with Wil's surgery. When he called to make the last consult appointment, people at Landstuhl told him that they were not taking any appointments right now since there were getting ready to deploy. Huh? And here I thought it was a hospital. Anyway, they said that they would be in touch once the deployment thing was sorted out. So, in order to prevent the inevitable cabin fever, I decided on a part time job to keep me busy until we had a surgery date. I wanted to work but not really. I mean I want to keep busy but honestly don't care to deal with responsibilities, meetings, or corporate politics yet again. I'm mostly enjoying my unemployment and would like to keep it almost exactly that way--minus random boredom. So what kind of job can a slacker hold, you ask? I say with glee, a video store clerk! I will only "work" a few days a week, get paid in peanuts, get to watch movies of my choice on the clock, and hang out with cool people. Doesn't this sound like a perfect high school summer job? I did feel slightly stupid after putting "Bachelor of Science" in the qualification column on the application. I think I'm going to add a movie review section to my blog, as to reflect my venture into the "movie business." He..he.

Last but never least, is, of course, our furbabies update. Brutus and Paddy are having a much more active social life than their parents. They've gotten their standing playdates with Samson and Liberty 3-4 times A DAY. Foxy, Guinness, Cooter, a Newfie pup yet to be named, and hoards of others whose name I don't remember are also on the list of playmates. We've also discovered that Brutus is quite a swimmer, despite his lackluster performance at Mott Lake in NC. Apparently, swimming is a lot more fun when one has a flock of ducks to chase around. Will post the evidence when the said camera is unearthed.

1 comment:

  1. Trevor always wanted to work in a video store in hs. I miss having a job that was brainless.
    You deserve a break after your crazy hours at the chicken farm.
    Since you're getting into the German food I wanted to share a fantastic recipe with left over German food. Take left over pork roast (at least a pound) and juices (that's cooked in Sweinerbrauten) combine with sticky potatoes (around 3-4) that have been broken up, spetzel (half a box), and LOTS of pepper. mmmm..it's so good when it's cold outside. Add chicken broth or water with more Sweinerbrauten if the spatzel sucks up all the juices. I cook it at least an hour on med-low to let the pepper get absorbed. It's one of those super easy recipes and comforting.

    ReplyDelete