Sunday, August 5, 2007

Deutsche Weinstrasse


What a great weekend! Wil and I have so much fun biking on a small section of the Weinstrasse. We park our car in Bad Duerkheim and bike around town for a bit before leaving on our bikes to explore the adjacent towns. We have lots of pictures to share, so let's get started!
Bad Duerkheim takes great pride in their wine and relaxing atmosphere. In Germany, when "Bad" precedes the name of the town, it normally means that the town is associated with some kind of health activities and relaxation. Some might have natural hot spring pool, some might be well known for their spas, and some, like Bad Duerkheim, are famous for its wine, festivals, gorgeous scenery, and all kinds of health clubs.
On our next trip there, Wil and I are going to try a Turkish bath. That should be interesting. We'll definitely be back during September, when the town hosts Wurstfest, which is translated into sausage festival even though it's really a wine fest. Apparently, the atmosphere here is much like Munich during Oktoberfest, just replace beer with wine, which is definitely more our cup of tea. Speaking of sausages, I love how they include our furry friends in the depiction of good times.


Weekend Market in front of a Vineyard
Wil's Quest for Ice Cream Brings Us to Town Square

I decide that we should bike around outside of Bad Duerkheim to visit other little towns on Weinstrasse. Wil grumbles a little but kindly obliges mainly because he loves me and doesn't want to put up with my nagging for the rest of the afternoon. I really don't have any destination in particular because it's gorgeous just about anywhere we look. At this point, I'm completely mesmerized by the endless vineyards and architecture. Isn't this absolutely charming? That is exactly what I'm thinking instead of paying attention to where I'm going. And causes me to miss the curb. Which results in this. I think the fall scares Wil a lot more than it does me, since I am definitely expecting it to happen. My poor husband turns a new shade of white when he sees blood pouring out of the hole in my shin. Honestly, it probably could do with a couple of stitches, but I'm not about to let this ruin our weekend. So we bike on. We go through a couple of little towns and decide to have lunch. Come to find out later that we stop in the quaint town of Freinsheim. It's just postcard perfect.


Our little cafe sits in a town square and across from a church, where there are two weddings going on. I feel a little like we are crashing their reception but bring our own food. As My Beloved's facial expression can attest, the food is phenomenal. After refueling, we bike around a bit more before heading back to our car in Bad Duerkheim.

Here's a grape picture for you, Mom.


We get back to Bad Duerkheim, Wil loads up the car, and we head back home, but not before he gets his cup of well-deserved spaghetti ice. I can't wait to do this again! We have a couple of days to rest up until Trier's Roman Fest next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so loving your biking tour. We were on Beale Street this past week with family who were here for the week. I did take photos, but they are so not as fun as yours!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete