Monday, April 6, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise

Wil called home Thursday afternoon and said "did you know I have a 4-day weekend this week?!?" Alrighty then! I didn't have any plans for us than to spend sometime outside enjoying the nice weather. Speaking of nice weather, it looked like we somehow really skipped spring and went straight into summer. The temperature yesterday was again in the upper teens. Brutus is very miffed about this but I can comfortably say that he's really in the minority here. So without further ado, here are some pictures of what we've been up to:

In a garden in Landstuhl.
Had to document the pregnant baby look after a really big dinner.

Ok, these three are from one day after Chase woke up from her nap. She ALWAYS has on either pants and socks or one piece pjs with feet because it gets very drafty even in our house. But since it's really warming up and sunny, Chase got to play in just her onesie without socks on, I think, for the first time ever. The poor child has just now noticed her shadow and toes.

I hear Paddy bouncing down the hall.
Loveeee brushing my teeth, er, gum.

On Friday, we headed out to Bingen to bike around. The intention was to bike from Bingen to Bacharach along the Rhine river and see a short section of Unesco World Heritage's Upper Middle-Rhine Valley. But, as you know there's always a but in our travel, we got there a little too late in the day and I wasn't comfortable biking away from town too close to dusk and the baby's dinner time, so we just biked around Bingen instead. It was Chase's first time in the trailer, and she did really well.


Checking out the swans on the river.
She actually enjoyed herself despite the grumpy face.

There were many of these HUGE and AWESOME playgrounds along the riverwalk. Chase was, of course, way too small for any of them.
The only thing the child got from me, besides, you know, flesh and blood, are my eyes. I feel like I'm looking at Mini Wil everyday.

We had the best Italian meal we've ever had in a restaurant we just happened to stumble upon in Bingen. I wasn't hungry at all when we got there but ended up licking the bowl clean and thought about ordering some takeout to go with us. Chase ate a whole chicken breast and astounded the waitstaff. It's so worth the 40-minute drive to have another bowl of pasta. Oh, yeah, the view wasn't bad either :). We'll definitely go back to explore more of Upper Middle-Rhine Valley. I know I didn't take many pictures but we all know what happened the last time I attempted to bike and take pictures:



Saturday morning we went to a flea market in Homburg. Chase got all kinds of cute baby clothes and a few toys, I got cool home decor stuff, and Wil got his ice cream. We all were very happy. There's one table I always go to for cute baby clothes. The sellers are Italians and they love Chase. They always sneak in a couple of freebie hats, toys, or socks in our bag for the baby. We enjoyed an impromptu picnic/lunch before walking around a bit more and heading home:

This is what happend when Papa dressed Chase. That pair of tights is about 3 sizes too small for the child and the overalls is still about a size or two too big. Chase agreed and peed on the outfit, so she got to wear her new-to-me outfit home, which happened to fit her perfectly :).


Sunday was still beautiful, so we took the boys out for a hike on a new trail near our house. I was told about it by a retired Army guy, who now runs a small gasthaus in our village. I met him while walking Paddy one afternoon, and he told me about all kinds of places to take the boys walking and swimming. But before we headed out, Chase had to have a mini photo session after her nap:




I'm thinking about sending these to Blackberry, since there's no endorsement more vital to the business as one from a cute baby.
Juvenile obstacle course that is our house.


A long uphill that we attempted to bike a day earlier. I said attempted.

Someone, I shall not name names, was not being cooperative.
Master of his domain.
I. Want. My. Snow. Back. Now!!!
I love this picture.
Yummy green bean.
Happy and tired puppies.
She hates that hat.
Let's go home Momma!

We capped off a wonderful day with a bike trip to the next village for some gelato. The bustling little shop was run by a sweet young Italian family. It made me smile to see their three daughters busy scooping up gelato and running around the shop helping their parents. I have to ask them if I can take their pictures the next time. Three dark little Beauties. We seem to do very well with the Italians around here.

Today will be for cleaning, grocery shopping, and vegging out, even though I'm fairly certain that if I mention gelato Wil will gladly hop on his bike again.

Spring in Germany: Bliss.