Chase was REALLY teething again. Apparently, everybody on my side of the family teeth very very late and get to enjoy multiple rounds of fever, fussiness, and lack of appetite, all of which Chase had for most of the week. She just started to sleep through the night a few days ago again after a horrendous week of waking up crying with temperature. It broke my heart to see her shoving both her hands in her month to rub her gum and tearfully babbling at me like "why can't you make this go away?!? So yet another painful episode concluded with no tooth. I can see the white protruding little dot just right under her gum but that sucker is taking its sweet time.
This week Chase uttered the first real word beside the usual "mommmamamama" and "poppappapapa." Wanna take a guess? She was on her changing table and saw Paddy bouncing down the hall toward her and whispered "Paddy" to herself. It was absolutely adorable. She's been whispering "PadPadPad" for a long time now like it was a practice and she didn't want to say it out too loudly, but this was the first real "Paddy." Then on Sunday, I came home after leaving her with her father for a couple of hours to run to the commissary, Chase looked up, saw me standing in the room waving at her, and said "Momma" before reaching up so I could pick her up and promptly gave me the biggest smile and a hug. I teared up a little then ran to the basement, where Wil was doing laundry, to gloat. She also said "hiiiiiiya" to Wil this morning when she first saw him. The kid is funny.
I found out that my laziness and dependence on my contact lenses have really taken a toll on my eyes. If you know me well you know that I'm as blind as a bat, and I hate wearing glasses. I've been guilty of not taking my contacts out when I should and now I'm supposed to keep them out for at least 2 weeks to let my my eyes heal up a bit. I also learned from my doctor that Chase has a 50% chance of inheriting my bad eyesight. Apparently, daughters are just lucky that way. My family is the perfect example of this. My sister Kwan and I are just like our dad when it comes to poor vision, while my brother gets off easy and only needs a slight correction. Word.
We got to spend a bit of time this week with our friends. Brady, Chase's first friend ever, and his mom, Jordan, came back to Germany this week after nearly a year in the States and we got to hang for half a day. It was unbelievable to see our babies together again. The last time we saw Brady he was maybe 4 months old, and now he's a walking and talking toddler. This is one of a few times that I'm super bummed about not living in Baumholder anymore. We could have had playdates and walks any time we wanted if we were still living just down the street from each other :(. Also, yesterday Wil invited his work friends to have a cookout with us. We had lots of bar-b-q ribs and a nice selection of alcoholic beverages, which explains why I'm sipping leftover sangria and eating booze-soaked fruits right now as I type. If my grammar starts to really tank worse than normal, you know why. These things are delicious and potent. Anyway, Paddy was in doggie heaven, as one of Wil's friends brought his 4-year-old little boy along. As soon as Logan saw Paddy, he yelled "Marley!" and they spent the next 4 hours running around in the backyard chasing each other. I told the parents to drop him off whenever he needs to burn off some energy as Paddy would be too happy to babysit (and fetch tennis balls). Brutus was hoping for a 4-year old little girl who wanted to brush his hair and told him how pretty he was, so he was understandably miffed. Next week, Brutus, next week.
Brutus is doing well in spite of the fact that he wasn't the center of the attention yesterday, although I can't quite say the same for Paddy. The poor baby is experiencing the first, and perhaps the worst I've ever seen, double ear infection. The worst of it was last Friday, so he was actually doing much better after 3 big shots and a week's worth of antibiotic and pain med and obviously well enough to play all afternoon yesterday. Not that it ever really slowed him down. This pup is really more like a horse.
Spring time in Germany means pollens on steroid. I don't think my allergy is ever quite this bad, and it looks like I've passed this lovely gene along to Chase as well (you can thank your Kun Tha for this, Kid). Although it's absolutely GORGEOUS outside after 4 days of torrential downpour, I'm thinking we should bunk in for a few more days. Fine by me if Wil keeps supplying me with sangria-making material.
Now, I remember promising you some pictures?
This was taken on one of those nights that she was so uncomfortable from teething that nothing except for watching tv and hanging out with Papa could calm her down. I clearly lost the tv battle.From our walk/hike to the ridge by our house.
Can you hear Brutus cursing at us under his panting? He actually got up and sat on the water bowl to cool down at one point.
Paddy just being, well, Paddy.
My beekeeper studying a lady bug. Look at all that concentration.
You see pretty flowers, I see pollens.
WOOHOO! I'm getting HBO!
Chase and Brady. Already fighting like they are best buds.
Jordan brought Brady to welcome Chase into the world at the hospital the day after she was born, thus cementing their friendship. Thank God for the most patient dog ever.



You want to know what happened when we put two exhausted babies (Brady just flew across the Atlantic and Chase was missing her nap) next to each other and told them they were going for a long ride?
She Started It! from UMA STEINHAUER on Vimeo.
They were less than happy with us. At least it was entertaining to the parents!

