Thursday, June 19, 2008

St. Wendel

The long weekend went by without us taking a long trip anywhere. It was cold and wet most of the time, and we decided to hang around Baumholder, clean the house, and enjoy each other's company on the one day that was warm. My darling baby and I are still duking it out over naps during the day, which explains why updates are so sporadic. I have also put a pause on our sleep training, as it became clear that neither one of us were quite ready for the hard work. Right now sleep is more important than the actual location of it, so Chase and I have called a truce and agreed to share a bed for 8 hours of peaceful sleep with one quick nursing session in between. She's been really good at showing me when she's ready for certain things, like her swing. We really thought she would take to it immediately, as most of our friends' babies did right after birth, but she didn't. It scared the crap out of her, I think, mostly because she was such a lightweight. We brought it out again this weekend and to our surprise she loved it so much she actually fell asleep in it. Same goes for her bouncy chair, which I almost put away. She's also been putting herself back to sleep during nap time, so I am hopeful that with our encouragement she will also want to sleep, instead of play, in her crib as well. Sometimes I forget that she's not quite 8 weeks old yet and expect too much out of her. She's growing up so quickly, and having her warm tiny body nuzzling with me at night would become a thing of the past before I know it. So I'm taking a full advantage of having her all to myself to offset the time when I can't get her to come home for a visit from college.

Since we didn't take a long trip over the weekend, we drove half an hour to a town called St. Wendel for a quick stroll after work. St. Wendel has fabulous fruit and seasonal markets, and the next one in July will be all about cherry. Yum. We are going to be there bright and early on the first Saturday of the month, which means that we are going to miss the Homburg flea market :(. I adore summer in Germany. Winter was so utterly dreary, so everyone and every town are celebrating and taking full advantage of every last ray of sunshine with all kinds of markets and festivals.

Ok, time for some pictures. I forgot to change the batteries in the camera so we don't have many to show. I'll make it up when we go to the fruit market.

The boys in front of St. Wendel Basillica


Where's everybody?
A stroll in the city park.
Cool sculpture.

She likes it!
I love her sleepy face.

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys just stoppin by to say HELLO...did you get the package we sent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, enjoy every last minute of this time Papa slept on my chest until he was about 3months old,and then I had trouble sleeping until he was a year old. So just enjoy them.It ends to sooooooon. LOVE < MOM

    ReplyDelete