Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's 3 A.M...

Which means that the baby must be having a fever! I knew she would probably run some low grade temp because of the vaccines, but there was nothing to prepare me for when she started to wail out of a dead sleep and the thermometer actually read above 98.6. I must say that infant Tylenol is the stuff of miracle. I think her temp went down even before I could finish nursing her back to sleep. Chase seems to be more comfortable now, just in time for her momma to be sufficiently freaked out and stayed up to check her temperature every half an hour for the rest of the night.

We had given the baby infant Tylenol before she got her shots, and it completely knocked her out most of the day. Wil decided that we should take advantage of it and go to a movie. I would outright protest had our on-post movie theater not have the baby room inside. I had never been in it but seen this little glass-paneled room in the back of the theater. The idea is that if the baby starts to cry, I could take her in there to nurse/comfort and still be able to watch the movie. Well, it is a lovely thought, which might work out much better had my child a) not just had the most traumatic day of her life AND b) learned to sleep with a VERY loud speaker in her ears. You would think that there will be a volume control in the baby room, where it's actually louder than inside the theater. Guess it's the thought that counts in this case. Needless to say, I packed up and left with the baby leaving Wil to enjoy a few guilt free hours of Indiana Jones. He was supposed to call so we could pick him up after the movie but walked home instead--in the rain. We'll see if I'll have two sick babies on my hands to take care of tomorrow.

We were planning on going to pick up some roman shades at Ikea for our kitchen tomorrow, so the neighbors couldn't judge us anymore from the piles of dirty dishes we stack everywhere. That and I'm sure they are tired of seeing us eating cereal in our underwear. Things I do for you, Strangers. Since a trip to Ikea is a little over an hour away, we'll have to wait and see if the Boss feels better enough to be strapped down in her car seat for that long. There's no torture quite like being stuck in the same car with a screaming baby on a long trip. If our Ikea excursion should fall through, we still have Sunday in Koblenz with my smelly brother Non to look forward to. Not the smell part, but I'm excited to see Chase with her uncle. Now, Non, you have a couple of days to practice how to not drop my baby while holding her. This is not a thing where you give me $5 and we call it even.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness...I remember that night! We had it about a month ago, the shots, the screams, the fever in the middle of the night that totally freaked me out so that I pretty much held Jack constantly the rest of the night! Virtual hugs to you...this mom thing is pretty awesome and also pretty hard huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uma, thanks for the comment on my blog. I really appreciate being connected with other military wives that can sympathize! I've been stalking your blog (in a non creepy way) and always get a laugh.
    Hope your little one is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete