I didn't update much last week because, well, I'm pretty sure you are well aware of the fact that first trimester doesn't agree with me much. Kind of old to keep repeating it, so I thought I should spare you. Anyway, I'm beginning to feel better and might even have something witty to share. My mom stresses the importance of my keeping my job that only pays in peanuts and fairy dust, because she knows me way better than I know myself. I am forced to suck it up and actually do something if I know I have responsibilities. I feel like such a bum when I'm off work and sleep all day. I mean ALL DAY. As a child, my hobby was to sleep. That was really the reason why I never got in real trouble. I would read then fall asleep. This actually pissed off a lot of my friends in college, because I never quite made it to most of their parties. Anyway, now that I'm growing a human, fighting off whatever infection Wil shared with us, have a legit reason to stay in bed because of my tail bone, and, at times, underemployed, I'm the world's laziest human being. It feels like I've overdosed on Benadryl. Even the dogs don't sleep as much as I do. I still can't walk them, which only adds to my inactivity. I have constant pain when I walk but it can suddenly turn into a sharp jolt that sends me buckling to the floor. I don't even want to think what would happen when they see a fat rabbit (they are huge and everywhere here!) while I'm still attached to the other end of their leashes.
To address Wil's previous post (my husband apparently detests the use of punctuation when he's ill and cranky), it's indeed been a rough couple of weeks in our house. Wil first got a cold about three weeks ago and by last weekend it developed into some kind of wicked respiratory infection. It was one of the weirdest things I'd ever seen. He was slowly getting better towards the end of second week but literally overnight his immune system just ran out of steam. He woke up to blood-shot eyes, streaming snot (too much info?), and a voice that sounds like it was coming from a deep and compact underground tunnel. Together we sat up in bed holding hands. He, with his nostrils "corked" with toilet paper, and I, with a barf bag ready to deploy at a moment's notice. It was quite pathetic but nonetheless endearing. Should have taken a picture that we can laugh about much much later. Now he is finally on the mend, with the help of wide spectrum antibiotics. I'm not feeling like it's Saturday morning after 6 shots too many and I NEED some Hardee's chicken biscuits to stop the room from spinning all the time either. I still want Hardee's chicken biscuits. Oh, do I ever. With grape jelly (thanks, Curty!). But I at least do see a bleak, however present, stream of light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Stupid tunnel.
I am a daughter of Thailand, where fresh food and produce are cheap and fabulous. My mother instilled in me a wonderful eating habit and most of it stuck. It was quite a change for both Wil and I when we first got together. I put a piece of fruit in his lunch box and he introduced me to Little Debbie. I had never known anyone who loved junk food more than my Beloved. We compromised and he got to eat his chips as long as he washed it down with some fresh fruits or veggies. Fast forward to the 10th week of pregnancy and I could no longer eat anything that I once had and subsequently lost through vomiting. Good bye to most salad vegetables, Asian pears (my favorite!), oranges, apples, ground beef, anything that smells and looks like real food, etc. All I can eat now are steamed rice, eggs, toast, pizza, ramen noodles, Hot Pockets, cereal, and canned peaches and pineapples. Yes, I said canned. You might hear Wil's sinister laughter in the background and my grandmas' quiet weeping. To make the matter worst, Baumholder "food court" only houses Antony's Pizza, Taco Bell, Burger King, Pop Eye's, and Baskin Robbins. There are a few restaurants in town and Doner Kebab stands. And that is it. So for convenience's sake, Wil has been grabbing Taco Bell for lunch or dinner pretty much every day since he knows that his wife is not going near the stove anytime soon. Even the most prominent junk food junkie is now turning green when he has to go to the food court.
There's something going on with our phone line. Seriously, Kwan, we didn't forget your birthday. We just can't call out. We found that out when we tried to call and wish you a happy birthday. Wil has to find time to go back to see the Telekom people today and find out why both our phone and internet are not working. Yes, we're still stealing bandwidth from the neighbors. Sorry. And yes, we paid the bills. In the sickness-induced haze, we slept through the due date but quickly took care of it as soon as the place was opened on Monday. Maybe this is the German way of teaching valuable lesson to customers. Pay your bill a day late and no phone for you again, possibly ever. Pass me those empty cans and some strings, would you?
*Update: I have jinxed myself by saying that I was feeling better. Spoke. Too. Soon. Never will I mentioned that again, at least until the spawn is out and a few months old. Now where is my barf bag?
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


Hi Guys,
ReplyDeleteShirley says amazing thing happens at the begining of the first trimester; you quit throwing up.
I am emailing you my RX Chicken Soup recipe. There is documented medical research that shows chicken soup does help. It also tastes GREAT! You don't have to be sick. Promise me you will make it.
Love
Dad