Wil had courtesy patrol duty on Saturday night. He and about 10 other NCOs were assigned to patrol the bars, work with the MPs, and chauffeur the drunk soldiers and family members back on post. He was kind of dreading it because this was one of the last weekends before most of our soldiers had to go back to the field. And it was payday weekend. Have I mentioned that this post is full of very young soldiers, who are eager to take full advantage of German legal drinking age (18)? Yeah. Anyhow, he came home sometimes after 5 a.m. and was in a strangely good mood. I was rather groggy (more on that later) when he crawled in bed and started laughing. He shared with me that he saw some of Baumholder's cream of the crop getting plastered, a guy pooping in his pants while in the courtesy van, an extramarital affair in the making, and a few fights. But his favorite story seemed to be the one involving a wasted German woman, who apparently looked like an overweight 65-year-old Barbie. She was particularly upset with him because he could not give her a ride without a proper military ID and ended up punching him in the chest and knocking off his radio. He said he didn't really realize what had happened until when he saw his radio on the ground. Thank goodness she did punch like a girl. A very very drunk girl. The MPs saw the incident and asked if he wanted to press charges, but Wil was more amused with her than upset. And after she calmed down, she tried to pick him up. I think that it was her way of apologizing. I knew my husband was utterly handsome, especially in his uniform, but I didn't know that he was mighty popular with the drunk toothless crowd. And I was quite awake after he said "...and she punched me!" Oh, no. You don't touch MY man. If I were down there, he would have had to break up yet another fight, because the Baby and I would whoop her behind all the way to the MP station. We'd better not run into her at the commissary. Woman, you will stay clear of me if you know what is good for you.
Ok, I'm calmed down now. I had kind of a hellish Saturday. Remember how I said Wil's immune system just sort of ran out of steam battling that virulent cold virus after 3 weeks? Guess what happened to yours truly? The worst part was that there were no medicines that I could safely take without possibly hurting my little seed. I had to take 2 Tylenols to control the temperature before headed to work. My poor customers at the video store were the unfortunate recipients of my surly treatment last night. I think I'm going to have to bake them some cookies. I came home and had to take 1 Benadryl, so I could at least breath and rest. I have to admit that it was nice to not be fully awake at 3:00 a.m. I'm just so paranoid about taking any medicine at all during pregnancy, even though I know Tylenol and Benadryl are ok.
Bruta and Paddy has a play date with their best friend Guinness today and I'll try to remember the camera. It's so interesting to see the dynamic between the kids. Paddy, a true lab that he is, gets along splendidly with everyone. Brutus, on the other hand, is quite a snob. He knows to be cordial to other dogs but there are very few that he would actually play with. We took him down to the park last weekend and he just sat down by the gate waiting for Guinness to show up and completely ignoring other dogs there. They form their own little clique. There's an argument for nature vs nurture right in front of our eyes.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


Hi,
ReplyDeleteDo I need to remind you that though you may not take medicines that may harm the baby, you can and should have some of my Rx Chicken Soup. Research shows that it has some of the same properties and effects as those over the counter medications. Besides, it tastes good. So get to it!!!
Dad
ps: In honor of you two (three) in Germany, our Sunday Family Dinner theme is "Oktoberfest". Any suggestions? We are going to have some dark beer that is brewed and produced according to "Reinheitsgbot" the Germany Purity Law of 1516.
I promise to make the soup this weekend. As for the family dinner suggestions, we have a couple of favorites. Rahmschnitzel is my old stand-by. Either pork or veal can be used. It's simple to make and absolutely delicious. Another good dish for a cozy chilly night is German potato dumpling in cream sauce. I don't really know the official name of it. The version that we have had is always served with seasoned ground pork sausage in thin cream sauce. The texture of the dumpling is most surprising, as it is incredibly springy. Needless to say, both dishes really don't comply with the Maker's diet, and Chris might cry foul when he sees the white sauce. But they are good and hearty, especially when paired with crisp German salad (lots of chilled iceberg lettuce, corn, beets, pickled shredded carrot, green and kidney beans with yogert/sour cream dill dressing) and a good loaf of sour dough bread. Oh, and Wil also suggested spiesbraten, a dish native to and made famous by our neighboring town Idar-Oberstein. Wish we could be there!
ReplyDelete