Monday, July 30, 2007

A Chilly Reception

I thought long and hard before posting this one. I've been here a month now and I think I have seen enough to comfortably say that I'm being discriminated against. For being, in order of importance, Asian, skinny, not butt ugly, and childless. I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, which is exactly what I repeat back to my husband the first time he brings this up. Most wives I meet are very kind and cordial, but there are also significant number that immidiately cast the look of disgust my way as if I had leprosy. The first time I see this, I just pass it off as someone having a bad day. But after about the forth time, I bring it up to Wil my observation and he tells me that he has been expecting it. What? He goes on to tell me that he and his friends already have the discussion about how rough it is going to be for me here. According to the dudes, there are two kinds of military wives. In one camp, there are the self-sufficient wives, who always take changes with strides, confident and secure in their relationships with their husbands, and truly enjoy the overseas experience. On the other side of the coin, there are wives, who perhaps get married at a fairly young age and now facing raising a couple of very small children mostly on their own because the husbands are gone a lot. They are not happy they are overseas and away from their families; some have seriously let themselves go and are now super paranoid that their husbands are wandering. Throw in some weird Asian fantacies and I become Public Enemy Number One. I know this sounds a lot like fuzzy math, but I'm beginning to believe that Wil is on to something. I just can't find any other reason why perfect strangers constantly scowl at me at first glance every single day. My clothes are clean, I do not smell repulsive and look pretty happy most of the time. I hate generalizing because I can tell you that this weird treatment comes from the minority, however very present. It was seriously getting to me a couple of weekends ago, but I'm determined to not let a few ruin my experience here. I'm living in Europe with My Love and our four-legged variety children. There are worse things than to be treated poorly. So hear me, certain Baumholder wives, I like that I'm Asian and not obese. I love my husband and our kids. I don't want yours. Feel free to keep them. And smile, you're in Germany with your family!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog via Cristin, she left GE and you just arrived.....so I'm happy to still get my European travel fix via your little blog. :)
    Keep your chin up regarding the wife drama. There are always going to be wives that frankly....are not easy to get along with. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with that so soon after arriving in GE. Culture shock is bad enough! :)

    You sound like a sweet girl and if they can't see that, it's their loss. :)

    ReplyDelete