We've been having a bit of trouble putting Chase down for both her nap and at the end of the day. Most of it can probably be contributed back to her cutting the fourth baby molar and my coddling her as a result of it. Last night she fussed for nearly an hour after we put her down before finally giving up and leaving me a bit more gray. With the monitor blaring "MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA!!!," I looked a little more sick to my stomach with each passing minute until Wil offered to check on her (my going in and leaving again normally would set her off even more). While I was sitting on the couch trying not to hate myself for not scooping her up and bringing her to bed with us, I thought about a question I heard earlier from a high school friend I recently reconnected with through Facebook. "So you're just a housewife and stay home with the baby?" I knew she didn't mean anything derogatory by it and how the question was phrased probably had a lot to do with the language barrier. I, however, know that I tend to get defensive about it, mainly because I had a corporate job and ran a department with 15-20 technicians to look after and can comfortably say that taking care of The One is much harder of a job. In the western world, people can understand "none of your business" and leave it alone as it is one's choice to do whatever with one's life. But when you are Thai, EVERYTHING takes extensive explaining, most of which I don't have in me and therefore I am rude. Do you know how many "why don't you work?'s" I got from extended family members and friends when I was in Thailand? To fully understand this, you have to also understand that education is the most prized possession in most families, particularly Asian, because it affords us--the third world country people--a better opportunity in life and levels the playing field. The way they see it is that my parents invested all kinds of money into my education and I'm not doing much to return the favor, which is also expected of any good Thai children. Before I go on I should mention that my parents have been most supportive about our decision and doesn't share the kind of sentiment I'm talking about. Anyhow, I did my best to wave off the accusing tone because I didn't feel like going into details about how we, Wil and I, thought it was best for our children to have my dedicated time with them during the most important building years of their lives before school or how being in Germany and not a US citizen pretty much narrowed down the job pool for me to just those that barely paid minimum wage that wouldn't cover the cost of a decent child care, which would be a miracle in itself if there was a spot, available, etc... In Thailand, where labor is cheap, maids and nannies are the way of life, and I can see how some can think I'm being careless with my most valuable resource. Being able to stay at home with our child is a luxury that we decide that it's worth the opportunity cost. I'm not at a spa getting my toes paint while a nanny wrangles my toddler and my maid cleans, cooks, and folds my laundry. I know I don't have to justify my life for anyone, because I can see my greatest work running around the house shouting "A apple, B buzzy bee, C cwacker (cracker), D doggie!!!" For that I shouldn't have to feel the constant guilt that I do. For that "just a housewife" shouldn't sting even though it does. I went to bed still thinking about it.
Then around 3 a.m., Chase cried. I knew instantly from her tone that she was cold, just like I knew the night before when she cried a different cry that her diaper leaked or some other time when she cried because she had a nightmare. I picked her up, immediately felt her cold skin pressed against my arms, and wrapped her fleece blanket that she had kicked off sometimes during the night around her. She sighed a quiet little sigh, put her head on my chest, and went back into deep sleep within about 15 seconds. Would we still have this kind of connection had I worked outside of our home full-time? Sure, I know we'd still find the way, as the "working" mothers of the world do, even though I'm grateful for a husband, who happily assures me that I'm right exactly where I'm needed and we can thrive on a single income.
I felt back asleep sometimes around 4:30 a.m. feeling relieved that I was finally at peace with being "just a housewife"--proud, in fact. Of course, I was back to my ungrateful selfish self and grunted when, at 5 a.m., Wil's alarm clock went off.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


Isn't it crazy how "stay at home mom" and/or "housewife" can take on such a derogatory meaning? I have actually been struggling with this lately since my last week of work is this week and it hasn't been decided yet if I will return. It is so hard to grasp sometimes with the things/desires/dreams we sometimes have to give up for our families. However, in the end I think it is so worth it and probably wouldn't trade it for anything.
ReplyDeleteI agree, this job of two boys is harder than any other job I have had and ever will have. The emotional and mental energy it takes is hard to explain to anyone that has never been a stay-at-home mom. Yet we get the best rewards, no raise or promotion can better the smile or I Love You hugs/kisses from our little ones.
ReplyDeleteYou're blessed to have the life that you "can" stay at home and grow what is most important to both of you, little Chase. I would hope the same for any of our family and friends with children. Maybe the folks that ask what you do are just jealous of your ability to be financially stable in doing so. Or maybe they forgot the whole point of life...either way we're happy for both you and Wil.
ReplyDeleteI have found that I too am bothered by people who have that mentality. And that since having Brady, I hate tax time where I am listed as a "homemaker". Obviously, those people, and whoever writes the tax codes, have never been a "house wife" or "homemaker" or whatever they may call it. Not only is the most challenging job (and yes, it is a full time job) that one could ever have, it's also the most rewarding. And even if the entire world looked down on me for it, I wouldn't change a thing! Because I know that the bond and relationship I have formed with my child these last two years is something I will have forever. A pay check I may earn however, is something that will be gone and spent before the end of the month! AND we only have them for a few short years before the world scoops them up and takes them away. I want every minute I can get! There's plenty of time for a "real job" (which I'm sure on most days I'll resent) later.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that everyday I get to wake up and do whatever I wish with Kinsey and Avery. I love being the one raising our children and not someone who will never see the end result. I think especially being military makes it harder to work with children like right now with Andy deployed...at least some stability for these kids when things around them change fairly often.
ReplyDelete