Tuesday, November 24, 2009

One for the Book

Wil was discharged from the hospital on Sunday afternoon. I've been really busy since, sorry for the late update. I'll write more once things calm down here, hopefully by Wednesday. Chase and I are still making hospital run daily to take care of some paperwork issues, picking up medicines, and attending our own appointments. Nothing bad but I'll share more later. Wil is as comfortable as he can hope to be. He's taken to sleeping on the couch because it's much easier to try to log roll from that position and grab a walker. He can walk around the house without an aid of a walker, but I insist that he uses it anyway when I'm not around because his legs are still very weak and those pesky spasms can literally knock him to the ground. He obviously can't bend at the knees or back, and I'm learning to put things up higher so he can reach them. Chase and I were running all over town taking care of stuff and picking up the boys from the kennel yesterday and didn't get home until nearly dinner time. Wil complained that he was dizzy and light-headed and told me that all he had eaten were some animal crackers and cereal bars because those were sitting on the top shelf that he could reach. It was kind of hilarious to watch him directing Chase to pick deli meat out from the bottom drawer in our fridge. With all the practice coming our way, I'm sure we'll get a hang of things very soon.

Before I wrap this up, I would like to especially thank our dear friends who came out to visit Wil at the hospital. Most of Wil's friends were out of town for the week because of a work conference (although they came to see him as soon as they could), which made the hospital silence even more defining. If we were closer to our family, his room would have been the one getting scolded by the nurses for being loud. There would have been parents, grandmas, aunts, uncles, fussing over him, and cousins running around playing tag in the hallway 24-7. But this is our reality of being station overseas. It was a really hard week for him and I can't tell you enough how familiar friendly faces lifted his spirit. One particular family, the Carrolls, has always been there for all of us through the best and the worst of times. Jordan, Buck, and Brady, you are a Godsend! We love you so very much and are so grateful for our friendship. Can't wait until our playdate!

I can no longer post pictures here for some reason, so I guess only slide shows will do for now. When/if things ever calm down, I'll look into fixing it, but enjoy these for now, Grandparents!

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad that Wil is home now! We hope he has a very speedy recovery and that things calm down for you soon. We are thinking about you and praying that everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete