I'm a pretty emotional person, and my husband will probably tell you that it's some kind of an understatement of the year. I haven't gotten it in me the ability to be upset on the inside while putting up a happy front. I cried in the hospital's cafeteria yesterday because, after a total meltdown during lunch time, Chase looked at me with tears streaming down her face and said "outsyyde (outside), pay (play), syde (slide)?" It breaks my heart that life as she knows it is so turned upside down right now and I can't exactly fix it. I hurts me that she couldn't jump, run, spin, and let out a squeal whenever her little heart desires because we're in the hospital all the time. And it absolutely kills me to know that I couldn't just drop everything, scoop her up in my arms and run her to the nearest playground when that was the only way to fix whatever that's broken in her little world. I know this is not going to last forever, but right now I'm not a very good wife and I'm not a very good mother either. I want to be there 100% for two of my most important people in the world but it's just physically impossible. Chase is not a big fan of our CDC, and I'm afraid that I just reinforce the feeling by rarely ever leaving her there. But 4 hours yesterday were much needed, and so were the other 7 today. She got to be a normal toddler, who got to "pay outsyyde" and shared blocks with her new friends. I got to go to the hospital alone, sit quietly at the edge of my best friend's bed, and rest my head on his chest. We took a quick nap together and I got to really hug him without having to worry about Chase yanking some kind of wire out of something she shouldn't. We watched a movie together, stole each other's lunches, and just hung out. It was incredibly therapeutic, and for the first time this week I didn't want to just curl up at the foot of Chase's crib and go to sleep with her at 7 p.m. The fog in my mind is very slowly lifting, and I'm realizing that I've been carrying around a lot of angst with me. As much as I'm looking forward to Wil's discharge, I'm petrified of home pain management, as it felt like we had just gone to hell and back on that boat. I feel useless and not quite enough all at the same time most days. I'm angry at the universe that we're here again less than two years after the first go round. I know we're not the only people in the world dealing with "big stuff," but it's hard to gain perspective when we're sitting in the middle of it all.
On the day of Wil's surgery, Chase and I were pretty much the only two people left in the surgical waiting room after 2 p.m. Just a few doors down was the waiting area for ICU. There were a few more people in there, and I noticed this older lady, who showered us with a sweet kind smile when she saw the paper airplane experiment Chase and I were conducting in the hallway to kill time. I just assumed that she was a family member of a retiree, until she was on her way out around 4 p.m. and stopped to chat with us. I gathered that she belonged to a local congregation and just spent her whole day sitting in the ICU waiting room and praying for the patients and their families. She asked if she could pray for our little family when she found out that Wil had already been in surgery for nearly 9 hours. She softly took my hand and Chase's and it took all that I had to swallow a hard lump in my throat and not bawl. I was so overwhelmed with anxiety yet deeply touched by the kindness of stranger, whom in that small moment did more for me than she could ever imagine. I felt peace and love and knew in my heart that everything was going to be alright. We exchanged a warm goodbye and literally fifteen minutes later Wil's surgeon came out of the OR with 5 x-rays in his hand declaring the surgery a success. I'm trying very hard to hold on to that feeling the ICU waiting room Angel gave me and keep my mind clear of negative thoughts and feelings. It's a daily, and sometimes hourly, struggle, but I'm trying.
Wil continues to slowly improve. The drainage from the surgery sites came off today and it makes laying down a taddddd bit more comfortable. The swelling in his face is quickly going down and he can see better out of his right eye. He's off the morphine drip but is still heavily depended on the intravenous one that he can get every 6 minutes with a push of a button especially after a walk. We got an all clear to walk down the hall to visit our friend Becky and baby Eli in the next ward. He did well but was most definitely ready to head back and push the morphine button HARD. The biggest challenge is getting back into bed, and today he still needs 2 nurses to help him lay back down after most bathroom breaks. He's pretty nauseated and getting Sofran to combat that so he can eat a little more. And we know no one gets a good night sleep in a hospital, so he's getting something to help with that, too. His surgeon is very pleased with his progress but will let physical therapy and Wil dictate when it's time to part with that adjustable bed.
P.S. I'm talking to you, people we don't know but keep coming back to read about our life (Iowa, Australia, etc., I'm looking at you). My husband is in the hospital and really hurt. Say something nice to him like you wish him a speedy recovery. It's a small price to pay for an admission to our freak show. I did title the post "Irrational Anger," and I'm taking it out on innocent internet bystanders.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


Hi Uma and Wil, since you called me out (I have posted once). I have definitely been thinking of your family and am so glad that the surgery went well and will continue to keep Wil in my thoughts for a speedy recovery! My husband has had back problems since HS and everytime his back goes out, I'm afraid he's going to have to have surgery.
ReplyDeleteChristine
Oh, Uma...my heart breaks for you. And just like you said to me, get rid of the Mom Guilt!!! Chase will not be permanently scarred from this. She knows she loved and that's HUGE. Remind yourself that this is just a phase, and you will make it through. I'm so glad that sweet woman was there to pray for you...I'm always amazed at how in some of our darkest moments, God's grace comes in a specific way that you need it. Please know that you, Wil, and sweet Chase are prayed for...and I promise that I mean it. Take care friend.
ReplyDeleteGod put that woman there to give you that peace and comfort not only because HE knows what we need more than anyone else, but because He also cares for us in our situations more than anyone can understand. I am so glad you were able to have a moment of calm in this hectic situation. YOu are so strong and I am praying for continued strength for you and Wil. I only wish I could be there to help relieve some of your stress and take that cute baby of yours for a day. Kallie is right, Chase only knows your love and that is the most important thing.
ReplyDeleteUma,
ReplyDeleteWhen some people say that they wish they could be there for you, or I would do anything for you, they only mean I am glad it's not me or my family going through this.
When we say it, we mean it. Mara and I are ready and willing to do anything it will take to ease the burdens you are carrying. We KNOW that life is not possible without help from family, friends, dogs, and anyone, or anything that it is available to grab a hold of.
I, Steven, am not a religious person. Nor am I a believer in a higher power, but I have seen enough to know that Karma, in principle, is real and should not be ignored. If you need, want, or require, anything at any time or place, you have but to call. We will provide, ease, and assist you in any way we can.
I know it seems like too little too late, but once again, you have but to ask. NO ONE can make it through life without help.
It is 11:30 PM or I would call. Make no mistake, we LOVE you. I will call in the morning. We will ease your burdens as much as we can. We love you. We love Wil. We love Chase. Mara kinda likes the boys too.
Steven and Mara
You are an excellent mother for Chasie and an absolutely perfect wife for Wil.
ReplyDeleteYou, Wil and my little Chasie are handling this as best as anyone on this planet earth can do in this tough situation. If I may say so, you'd probably handling this better than a lot of people that going through the same thing.
You all will be ok. Wil will get better soon and back on his feet before realizing it. Chasie will be just fine. She is a very special child, P'Kaew. She has been raised in the most loving family anyone could ever ask for. She too will be alright.
As for you, I wish I can be there to help. But since I can't be there physically, I can only send you all of my love. You, Wil and Chasie are always in my thoughts and prayers. I think of you the first thing when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep. And I know with all of this love and the love that you have for each other, you are all will be just fine.
I just read this now- not sure where things stand at the moment, but you guys have been in our thoughts and prayers daily. I know you kept us in yours when we were going through stuff with Delaney and its nice to repay that "support" for you. Give yourself a break. No one can do everything for everyone... and you are doing a great job of balancing Wil's and Chase's needs (just don't forget your own).
ReplyDeleteGlad that Wil seems to be on the mend. I think it was great that you had time to be just with him- for all 3 of you! Remember that Chase is too young to have a solid memory of this as she ages, and that she knows she has a secure base of love so she will be just fine in no time. I am sure it is scary and unsettling for all of you right now.
Thanks for updating us. As I have said, you are a very strong woman/mommy/wife :)
We have been thinking of you guys often. Wil your doing great..keep a strong face! As for Chase I agree she wil never remember that she didn't go to the playground the other day..no permant scars! Take your CDC moments and enjoy them. Alayna will be going twice a month so I can have a morning to do as a please! Soon after some time you too can do that. We are praying for a speedy recovery! You can do this..you are strong. A friend once told me if you want to feel down and pity go ahead, as long as you can get your self back up in a day or so!
ReplyDeleteOur heart goes out to you, Wil, Chase, and the boys. ::hugs::
ReplyDeleteUma, just got to read the blog-so glad to hear from both of you. Don't worry! You know how stubborn my kid can be he will be back up in no time and then you both can sit back and relax, and if he does anything else to hurt himself remind him of what you and my granddaught went thou this time. I WISH ALL OF YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY and some much needed down time.I'm so sorry that I can't be there to help, maybe take care of your baby while you take care of mine. I LOVE YOU ALL and MISS YOU. THOUGHTS and PRAYERS ALWAYS LOVE,MOM
ReplyDelete