Sunday, January 21, 2007

Did you know?

Since I no longer own a tv and Dear Husband is not around to entertain me, my computer has become my lifeline. In the last post I mentioned that I watched a lot of stuff on abc.com. So it became a problem when I kept getting a message that my video feed viewing was not optimum because my bandwidth was less than 500 kbps. What? So I got on the phone to speak to tech support of my cable provider. This wouldn't have been so pathetic if this conversation wasn't happening at 11:30 p.m. on a Friday night. I was clearly not adjusting well to husband being gone. So there I was trying to explain to Richard, the dude who was handling my call, about what kind of message my MacBook Pro was getting while I was trying to watch Grey's Anatomy. He was very profession and not at all judgemental about my lack of social life. But basically he prescribed the usual unplug-your-modem-and-let-it-reset, and it worked! He went on to explain why this would help but I was clearly more interested in whether or not George's dad was going to die. So in the morning, Wil called from school and I told him about what happened. Then he gave me the same, if not more detailed and with a few more tech lingos, lecture Richard did. My husband, the computer genius. I sometimes forget that he does this for a living, among other things. I knew there was more to the job than looking hot in his uniform :). Anyway, so I learn that I'm supposed to unplug the modem every once in a while to allow it to clear the stored memory, which could just be garbage and take up bandwidth and cause my computer to slow down. The modem will also pick up a new IP address, and if I wasn't falling asleep during Dr. Wil's lecture, I would be able to tell you why that is important. My thing is how come nobody told me this before? I've had cable modem for years now. It didn't even come with the instruction. So now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment