Saturday, January 20, 2007

Life in the Slow North Carolina Lane

Whew! It's been a crazy couple of weeks! I should have known the move to Germany was going wayyy too smoothly. Well, the other shoe finally dropped and we found out last week that I wouldn't be flying to Germany anytime soon. By soon, I mean 6-8 months. Wil will be leaving as scheduled, and the boys and I will join him as soon as we can. What's the hold up? Immigration, my friends, immigration. The short story is that we got some bad advice from the people who were supposed to know what they were talking about. Important paperwork didn't get filed when it was supposed to, so now I'm back in line behind everyone else. So during this past week both Wil and I had a lot of running around to do. First thing on the list was to sit down with our immigration attorney to explore our options, which turned out to be very few and mostly sucked. That by no means is a reflection of our new attorney, whom I really like and highly recommend, but rather the whole immigration process, which really puzzles an American like my beloved husband. My poor poor husband. Anyhow, I had to get lots of shots and many viles of my precious B+ blood drawn to prove that I bare no strange disease originated in the jungle of Thailand. We made Fayetteville Kinko's very happy with the enormous piles of photocopies of our supporting documents. Movement order had to be changed, moving dates canceled, and a few things unpacked. It just so happened that the first shipment to Germany that consists of most of my kitchen content and excess winter clothes were already packed and on their way to Baumholder as I typed. At least now I have a valid excuse to order takeouts all the time and go shopping :). See, I see the positives in everything. This whole thing is a bummer but we are handling it as best we can. I threw myself a pity party early, while my beloved tried to calm me down from the other end of the phone line. Now that I got it out of my system, I'm more worried about Wil. I know he's so frustrated that there isn't much else he could do and hates the idea of us being apart. He's been the strong and solid one through this fiasco but I know he's worried. There will be lots of care packages until I can reclaim my kitchen and properly feed my husband again. Speaking of cooking, I plan on occupying our time apart with housewife lessons: cleaning, cooking, sewing. I discover that baking isn't as scary as I thought (so the dogs like burned cookies...), sewing is a lot of fun, and cleaning is just a necessary evil (not that I didn't know that before but I was happier to spend my time with husband than to dust). Also, I will be taking German class at night at a local highschool in preparation for our belated German rendezvous. Wil will be so busy with his new unit and duties he wouldn't even know that we are apart. Or so that's the plan, for now. We still have a couple of weekends left for our stateside fun, and fun we shall have!
Did I mention that I blew up my TV? Sort of, anyway. I turned it on, heard a pop, and soon smoke followed. It wasn't pretty. So now I don't have a functional TV in the house. I refused to buy a new one and canceled our cable service. Only people who will be around a while buy a new tv and have cable services. I'm leaving--SOON. It's the whole "if you build it, they will come," mentality. If I really believe that I'm not going to be around too long, then the Immigration people will start to think that they need to push my paperwork a little harder. One can hope. God bless ABC for putting full length episodes of their shows on the internet. And Netflix--the coolest way for me to waste $17.99 a month.
All the shots I got apparently don't agree with each other. At least that's how my stomach has been communicating it back to me. Let me say that projectile vomiting, though looks pretty funny on SNL, is not all that entertaining when you are the one doing the projecting. I would kill for pizza right now... So on that note, I'm going back to sipping broth and watching a free episode of Grey's Anatomy on abc.com. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment