Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Sewing Class

Leaving Industrial Design never stopped me from wanting to make things. Since I no longer have a woodshop at my disposal, smaller projects have my interest. I was always fascinated by sewing. My nanny was a very talented seamstress, and she taught me how to sew by letting me finish closing up the pillow she was making for me. For some reason, we never moved on to machine sewing. When Wil and I got together, I always lamented about how I wish I taken the time to learn. So I was over the moon when I came home one day to a sewing machine sitting on our front step, literally. Apparently, my beloved husband, who was deployed to Iraq at the time, wanted to surprise me and had ordered the machine online to be delivered for my Christmas present. The container in which the sewing machine came was too big to be wrapped or cover and it had the exact picture of the thing right on the box. And the delivery guy just left it sitting on my step. Wil was so excited about his "surprise" to me, I didn't have the heart to tell him that I knew what it was already. So when he came home in January, we celebrated our Christmas and opened our presents. It wasn't until then that I realized that I didn't know a thing about sewing machines. I didn't know how to thread a needle, put together a bobbin, and, subsequently, sew. So my pretty white machine just sat there. That was Christmas 2005, people. I've been asking around about a class and finally found one a year later at a local community college. Better late than never, I say. Today was my first class. We didn't do anything except getting our supply list for our first project: pillow cases. I was so elated after class I went straight to the fabric store to browse. Fabric selection was not as simple as I had imagined. Color combination, graphic composition--this was my first project and I had to slightly overcompensate for the inaction my machine saw over a year. The Anal Martha in me was coming out with force. Will take a picture for you to see how badly I mangle my project.

Wil just called from Georgia. His beloved Ohio State is not doing so hot and my husband sounded like he was going to cry. Oh, and Paddy just chewed up my one-week old adapter to my Macbook Pro. THAT makes me want to cry. And here's some recent pictures of the mutts. Enjoy!
Uma


No comments:

Post a Comment