In my head I feel a little like a hamster spinning a wheel, although my body is anything but in motion. I'm sure the only reason I haven't gone into a panic attack about this move yet is because the last trip to the bathroom/kitchen sucks all the energy out of me. We picked up two more luggage this weekend to pack up the clothes that we'll be using for the next two months and have lined them all up in the hallway. So far we'll be traveling with 5 30"+ luggage, 4 carry on's, 2 car seats, 1 double stroller, and 2 giant dog kennels, plus the six of us. I'm not sure how we're going to transport everything and everyone (we could barely fit everything in a German rental van when I first got here--two fewer children ago), but that's another worry for another time. The movers are coming next week and hopefully the baby will be coming this week. My mom is flying in to help out, and no one is more excited about it than Chase. I ask her what she has planned for Yai, and the list she gives me includes things I haven't been able to do with her much like playing tag and chasing pigeons. Makes me a little sad, but I know we'll get over this horribly challenging hump in some kind of fashion.
Not in the same kind of moving news, but I did attempt to induce my own labor by knowingly consuming Taco Bell. I was hoping that it would make me so violently ill, as it always does, that my body will be forced to expel EVERYTHING it's currently holding hostage. No dice. I only gave myself horrible stomachache for 8 hours to add on to the discomfort level. Nice work there, Umer. I have also decided that, since some people view a huge pregnant belly as a form of insensitive comment/cheap shot practice, I am under no obligation to put up a polite front and just "let it roll off my belly." This revelation came to me during this week's unfortunate trip to our BX to buy more stuff for the move.
Me, pushing a cart full of stuff and dragging another luggage behind me and getting stuck behind 3 shopping gal pals and their carts that had no intention of moving after 30 seconds: Excuse me.
Girlfriend #1, who was wider than she was tall and sporting a sassy headband that only made her fat head looked fatter, after looking me up and down a few times: Oh, yeah (barely made room for me to pass).
I didn't made it 5 steps ahead of them and was clearly within an earshot when I heard:
Girlfriend #1 to #2 and #3: Well, she's not THAT fat.
Back in the days before I packed on 40 lbs, I would have taken down the heifer in one fell swoop. I'm less than 2 months out of Germany and can't afford to get banned from the only place nearby that I can buy heaving piles of organizational plastic crap for cheap. Inhale and exhale. Walk on.
After finally tracking down my Husband and Child in a crowd that was as stupid as we were to brave KMCC on a 3-day weekend and feeling an imaginary baby head crowning, I told Wil that I needed to go sit down somewhere STAT. And wouldn't you know it, the only available table I could find was conveniently located in front of a Baskin-Robbins shop. I was too tired to breathe and left the chowing to the other two Stooges. Somehow, I was still an uncomfortable recipient of the glares, stares, and whispers from EVERYONE, and especially from a woman who was sitting a row over and a table behind us. She kept giving me these frightful looks then turned her face in horror to whisper something in very hush hush tone to her husband about every 15 seconds. After about 10 minutes of this I had enough:
Me: Please stop staring. I'm not a freak show.
Her husband thought I was hilarious. The wife? Not so much.
Then a random woman just started yelling at me as I was walking pass her to tell my Husband that he was going to walk home if I had to wait for him 5 more minutes.
Woman, who was about 5 yards away from me: BOY? BOY? BOY?
Me: No. None of your business, but no.
I'm limiting my outings for the next couple of weeks for public safety reasons.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


goodness gracious, what inconsiderate self centered people! Maybe it's the whole living in the South, Southern hospitality. But I haven't encountered more than this question, "When are you due? Mid December. WOW!" this was probably around 25-30 weeks and folks already thought I looked ready to pop.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'd stay out of the public eye too, if that's what I was encountering. I'm sure you're not comfortable walking around anyway. Stay home and rest.
I had someone tell me 2 days before I delivered Lexie that I had to be pregnant with twins and not believe me that it was only one. And another woman who saw me twice a week the entire pregnancy and kept saying it was a boy, that the docs were wrong. I wanted to throw pink paint all over her by the end! With Delaney, they would just tell me if I ate crackers I would stop vomiting. Because at 34 weeks pregnant, after 26 separate visits for IVs, continual antiemetics and steroids, and a weeklong hospital stay that had never crossed my mind. Yes, probably safer for the general public if you lay low over the next few weeks. If not for fear of your retaliation, for fear of me getting irritated by it! lol
ReplyDeleteGood luck with Wren's birth. And plus side to you new location... it is awfully close to FL!