Wil had some business to take care of a few days ago in Baumholder, from where we moved nearly two years ago. He called and told me that he was coming home bearing a present. As soon as I saw the wrapping I knew what it was. Our favorite bakery is in Baumholder, and it should give you an idea what kind of valued customers we were when the baker saw Wil's face and asked where he had been all these times. He said she gave an uproarious laughter when he explained that we had moved and that his wife was pregnant again before bagging up a generous portion of my favorite dessert on earth in the most familiar cheerful yellow little wrapper. I must have asked her the name of it in German a million times, but honestly, as soon as I see the thing, all I can hear is angels singing and blowing their trumpets. I've tried this dessert all over Germany and none comes close to the delectable masterpiece from this bakery.
He came home late, and Chase and I had just about finished our dinner. I thought about my weekly weigh-in that was in a few days and an hour of free open bar (read: Halloween candy bowl) the kid and I had earlier, summoned every fiber of strength I had, and graciously thanked my husband before asking him to put it away for tomorrow. My evil Husband grinned. He knew he was going to have a little fun at his wife's expense.
Wil: Chase, this is Momma's present! Would you please take it to her?
Chase, carrying the wrapped tray on both of her open palms: Momma, here's your present! What did Papa bring you, Momma?!?
Wil: It's a dessert!
Chase: May you please share your dessert, Momma? PLEASE?!?
Me: Of course, Honey! Papa can give you a few bites (because I don't want to be in a close physical contact with the thing that has gravitational force of the sun).
A few minutes passed...
Me: Okay, fine, would you please cut me a little sliver of it?
Wil, letting out a mischievous snort: Here, Honey.
Me: Alright, give me another. Oh, forget it, just pass the tray to me.
Chase: Can I please have some more, Momma?
Me: Yes, Honey. You should like this dessert. I had this EVERY DAY when I was pregnant with you.
Chase: I eat this when I was inside of you!
Me: More or less, yes. That's how my butt got really big.
Wil: Well, you haven't had any during this pregnancy and your butt still got really big.
Oh, yes, I ate the whole thing after that. In one sitting. It was as delicious as I remembered.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago


cute! and now I want a baked good...Huntsville doesn't really have a bakery, just chains...so sad.
ReplyDeleteI CAN"T BELIEVE HE SAID THAT!
ReplyDelete