I had to hear it from my mother, whom I knew loved me unconditionally and only wanted the best for her children.
"You've got to start taking better care of yourself because you're beginning to look like the maid."
She was absolutely right. I was never a girly girl, but somewhere after Chase's arrival and the aftermath of hormonal mess, I really let myself go. I gave up on my unruly hair and had it in a permanent pony tail. I started using my make up brushes to dust my sewing machine. I was kind of oblivious to the fact that I had been wearing the same five t-shirts for at least a year. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I mean, things must have looked that bad for my mom to bring it up. I think the last straw came when she discovered that I was still wearing some of my postpartum undies while sorting through laundry one afternoon. I was ordered to get a haircut and go on mandatory shopping trips. She even bought me a stack of pretty lacey underwear to replace the unfortunately high-waisted white cotton hold-in-all-my-flubber pairs. I always told Wil that I just wanted to look more like a well-rested, pulled-together, polished version of myself, and now I can say that I really do. I don't know why it took me so long to get it together, but I'm glad it was my mom who made it happen while we were home in Thailand. She still does know best. Thanks, Mom. Will send pictures soon.
On to Chase related news. Wil and I left Germany for our vacation with a sweet baby, who was content to sit on her floor mat and flip through the pages of her many books, and we came home with a mobile, opinionated, and loud soon-to-be-toddler of a creature, who can response "no" to our suggestions, point to an object that she wants and says "mine," and is an expert stair climber. Brutus and Paddy didn't quite know what to do with her at first, but they have adjusted well and been playing hide and seek with the baby after dinner pretty regularly. We are all just in love with Chase, and, to answer the same question that was repeated over and over again in Thailand, not ready to add to our brood. Wil and I agree that our family is just perfect exactly the way it is right now. Things may/may not change down the road, but, for now, Brutus, Paddy, and Chase will remain your only grandbabies from my womb, Grandparents.
We are all slowly getting back to our old routine, and when it's not pouring down rain, windy, and cold, I find myself actually enjoying being back in our little village again. Nothing will compare to being in Thailand with my family (AND THE FOOD!!! THE FOOD!!!), but I'm doing better. Promise a much more witty posts in the coming days, probably right after I convince my stomach that rejecting every single meal that is not Thai food is not a good idea.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago

