Saturday, September 24, 2011

So Soon...Too Soon

We had a rough week. The babies took turns getting sick here and there and I was not feeling all that great myself. Wil was super busy with work and barely made it through the week chugging coffee and 5-hour energy drinks. He'll have some much needed time off next week and I'm planning some low-key fun for us to enjoy. FINALLY!

There's a shift in the air. Last night, I got to take Chase to her first concert for our mother/daughter date. While I was ecstatic to have that alone time with Chase and watch her dance and enjoy the music, it was also a little sad. For the first time since Wrennie was born, I didn't nurse and tuck her in. Faster than ever, this little baby phase is leaving my life forever. Wren seems to be in a big hurry to catch up with her big sister. First tooth at 8 months, crawling at 9, and now she's pulling up, talking, and signing. This morning when she first saw Chase, Wren looked straight at her and excitedly yelled "Cjay!" She's signing milk, water, more, please, eat, and the latest--as of this morning--fish. She calls the boys by names (Boo and Padddd in a whisper just like Chase used to say it) and says "Papa" all the time ("Momma" always takes a little more coaxing. Why is THAT?!?) I took the kids to Seussical the Musical at the local high school yesterday, their second performance of the show, and she was clapping and dancing to the music. Every night after I put her down, she blows me a kiss and waves bye-bye. When Chase was little, I was so overwhelmed by my new isolated stay-at-home-mom role and hormones that there were days that I didn't feel the blessed joy in my life. I took the girls to the park last week. It was the perfect day--cool and sunny. I had Wrennie on my lap on a swing and Chase was charging at a big girl swing next to me so she could "fly" on her stomach. As we sat there enjoying the day together, I was overcome by gratefulness. To get to watch my girls growing up and discovering the smallest things in life that make them squeal with delight is a privilege that I thank God (and I probably should my husband) for every day. In a blink of an eye, my first tiny cherubic baby grows into a spunky little girl who takes solo swimming lessons and excitedly talks about next year when she gets to go to big girl school. First haircut she personally requested: check. First scheduled ballet performance: check. First "I know you'll miss me when I'm gone but you know I'll be right back, Momma": check. My heart weeps and cheers for her--for them--simultaneously. So soon, too soon, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. So well put Uma!!! I feel the same way as I watch my two, so happy and so sad all at once! You're such a great writer:)

    ReplyDelete