Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nurse Chase

I have been feeling rotten lately. Most of the time, this ill-named morning sickness just makes me feel like I'm having the worst motion sickness all day even though I'm laying perfectly still on the couch holding my head in my hands mumbling some questionable language for a nearly-2-year-old to hear. Since last Friday I have hardly left my couch, and I think my darling baby is beginning to think that's where I belong because whenever I tried to walk around the house today, she would grab my hand and order "ma, couch!" Wil has pretty much taken over the care of Chase as soon as he steps his foot inside. Bless this very kind and patient man. I couldn't have chosen a better person to share my life and children with.

It was high time for self-pity, but Chase made sure our day was the best it could be. After ordering me to stay reclined, she would climb in next to me, attempt to put a cover over both of us, and snuggle up her little body to mine. What followed belongs in Sweet Baby Hall of Fame.

Chase: Snug bug! (snug as a bug). Papa taught it! (whenever she says that while I tuck her in, I always amusingly ask where she learn that and she would proudly tell me that her father taught her.)
Me, sniffling now: Thank you, Baby.
Chase, petting my leg: Ma feel better?
Me: Yes, Baby, you make me feel so much better already.

After a few more minutes of cuddling and Nemo, she would look at me and ask:

Chase: Momma sick?
Me: I don't feel very good. My tummy is not happy.
Chase: Chase sick?
Me: No, Baby. You are thankfully very healthy.
Chase, with both arms raised in exuberant joy: Chase healtfy!

We went on to have a conversation about what was going on and at one point she seemed satisfied with my explanation about the baby in momma's tummy. She petted my stomach and kissed it before looking at me and ask "Chase in momma's tummy?" before curling up on top of me for a few more minutes of uncomfortable snuggling.

By the time Wil came home, she had a full report for him in between pasta bites during dinner:

Chase: Momma tummy hurting. Baby in momma's tummy.
Wil: Yes! Momma is not feeling very good, but she will be ok.
Chase: Momma tummy hurting. Ma feel better. Chase healtfy!

How I love this child.

4 comments:

  1. Me too! How I love this child...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I'd love to meet her! She makes me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I've heard Rebecca talk about you before. Were you stationed with her in North Carolina? Glad you enjoy my ramblings. Thanks for the congratulations, we are excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet child. It is a blessing to be with her always. I bet she never fails to bring joy to everyone.

    ReplyDelete